Sika Call

375 mag

Can anyone help ive just purchased the sceery sika call ( special Elk call ) when i try to use it the sound that comes out sounds just like a duck can someone tell me how to use it and what sounds it ment to make thanks ! oh and can anyone recomend another call that imitates the stags whistle ?

375 mag

You could try a widgeon whistle - the tin disc type might work. But sika are wily little blighters and are as likely to be alarmed as attracted. Remember the more noise you make the less you can hear.

Ian

You have to squeeze the end you blow into tight with your fingers. With a bit of practise you will be able to squeeze it to get the right note on the first blow. The call you seems to be well regarded in terms of making sika calls. Take a look on youtube and search on sika and that will give you a good idea on the type of noise you are trying to replicate. I've found that near enough can be close enough for them but that they often come in rather cautiously so it isn't as simple as calling and waiting to shoot a big stag that will run up to you. I have also found that they often like to try and get your wind when coming in and so will take a considerable detour to come in with the wind in their favour, again they aren't stupid and calling them doesn't mean you'll shoot every big stag in the forest.

You have to squeeze the end you blow into tight with your fingers. With a bit of practise you will be able to squeeze it to get the right note on the first blow. The call you seems to be well regarded in terms of making sika calls. Take a look on youtube and search on sika and that will give you a good idea on the type of noise you are trying to replicate. I've found that near enough can be close enough for them but that they often come in rather cautiously so it isn't as simple as calling and waiting to shoot a big stag that will run up to you. I have also found that they often like to try and get your wind when coming in and so will take a considerable detour to come in with the wind in their favour, again they aren't stupid and calling them doesn't mean you'll shoot every big stag in the forest.

+1 ..... Takes a bit of practice but last year I was with some FC guys on the Sika in September and boy can they call them in!. I shot two sika staggies. The guys use both the sceery call and the Hoochie Mama which I have since bought. At close range the sceery can sometimes sound ridiculous (I laughed a good few times before I realised it was actually working!). I have been told stories of the Sika actually charging at them and coming around them like caorach says, but the ones we spotted seemed to come forwards at a slow pace with head raised stamping their front feet as if aware of something, but not quite sure. My first was called from about 100+yds to just over 40yds using the sceery. For the second one, the guide I was with blew the sceery at full pelt as we walked along a brackeny gorge back towards the vehicle some 200yds away, within 2 minutes there was a young stag peering at us from 40yds away from underneath the canopy on the other side of the gorge. It will take practice, but lots of fun trying, and very exciting when it works!!
Timney

Well thanks for your advice lads i still can't seem to get the right note, ive even purchased two more calls from bushwear but still struggling to hit the right note that sounds like a Sika stag ill keep trying got a while to go yet !!!

Well thanks for your advice lads i still can't seem to get the right note, ive even purchased two more calls from bushwear but still struggling to hit the right note that sounds like a Sika stag ill keep trying got a while to go yet !!!

As said earlier, you need to pinch the end bit but I do this with my teeth as I blow. (steady boys!!!)

You also have to remember that the pitch you are hearing when blowing is far removed from what you will hear standing 100yds away. A bit like the real thing to be honest. A whistle at distance but more like a scream when very close!!! Scares the s**t out of you at times!!!

I use this call

DeerStalking003-1.jpg

Buttolo reed deer call from bushwear, its very effective on the stags, you can adjust the pitch on the call creating a loud whistle right down to the growl that you hear when your very close to the stag, 2nd what jamross has said.

Some stags will come running in like a train while ive also found they sneak right in behind you without ever calling back. Its very exciting when their responding to and coming into the call.

wicklow202

Hi wicklow202

Thats one of the calls i purchased and to be fare i have got the closest to the right sound with this one if blown very hard is that the way you get the right sound otherwise it just sounds like a roe doe im interested in calling the Sika as ive being quite successfull calling Red stags Roe Bucks and Fallow to date !

On some of them you have to blow hard to start the high pitched whistle and then back off gradually and the lone lowers. It takes practice to get the right power to start the call, otherwise you just quack at a rather bemused sika :D

I use the screery and as has been described clamp it between my teeth whilst blowing, all your puff is required at the start of call then tailing off towards the end, I always find that the third whistle, in the series of three, is always the most realistic. I have had them come in to some real dodgy sounding ones and ignore what I thought were quite decent, I know that the noise I produce will never be an exact replica but it is good enough to fool them most of the time when "love is in the air"

John

Hi wicklow202

Thats one of the calls i purchased and to be fare i have got the closest to the right sound with this one if blown very hard is that the way you get the right sound otherwise it just sounds like a roe doe im interested in calling the Sika as ive being quite successfull calling Red stags Roe Bucks and Fallow to date !

Sorry to hi-jack, 375 mag what do you use to call Fallow ? I have tried the primos whitetail grunter without any success, but maybe not doing it right.

Moose

Sorry to hi-jack, 375 mag what do you use to call Fallow ? I have tried the primos whitetail grunter without any success, but maybe not doing it right.

Moose

i have one of those "primos grunters" and to be totally Honest i NEVER use it, as with calling most things it can be VERY Hard to get success. For Fallow Bucks/Prickets i use my mouth and try to imatate the Beast. But over the cause of many many years stalking Fallow more often than not the Buck will shut up and disapear. Having said that i was showing a German what the Primos was and he shot 2 Bucks within 5min but it was the first and only time in 30+yrs. As for Sika again the couple of stalkers who have taken me for Sika Whisled them by Mouth no Mature Stag's but the Spiker's came a treat

I use the screery and as has been described clamp it between my teeth whilst blowing, all your puff is required at the start of call then tailing off towards the end, I always find that the third whistle, in the series of three, is always the most realistic. I have had them come in to some real dodgy sounding ones and ignore what I thought were quite decent, I know that the noise I produce will never be an exact replica but it is good enough to fool them most of the time when "love is in the air"

John

+1 on JAYBs method.

I use a sceery call and hoochie mama, they work really well but it takes alot of practise. You won't get it over night. If the stags are in the mood any noise will work, their brains are in their ********!! Timney, is that you Rob? the story sounds very familiar
Al

I use a sceery call and hoochie mama, they work really well but it takes alot of practise. You won't get it over night. If the stags are in the mood any noise will work, their brains are in their ********!! Timney, is that you Rob? the story sounds very familiar
Al

How do Alan, yeah is me ..... looking forward to practicing with you!! Note the bit where I said it made me laugh a few times????? :rofl:

I have bought the hoochie mama call as recommended, but can't get a sika like sound out of it. what settings are you all using: Mew setting, lost cow setting or oestrus cow setting!
Thanks.
Answers preferably before end of rut!!!!
Dama

hi mag
if you using the same sceery call as I used to use (not in sika country now) camo body plastic mouth piece
it is not the stag whistle you want to copy but the hind call which sounds like the word (here).
The way I called was to squeeze the mouthpiece with both fingers and thumbs like blowing up
a ballon, sqeeze hard enough so when you blow there is no sound then slowly release finger pressure to get the hee sound
then less pressure to get the re note so the final sound is a eear. hope this makes sense
good luck

Back