Thread: Thinking About Dsc 1

Thinking About Dsc 1

I keep thinking about doing my dsc1 but not sure what ill get out of it as I studied deer management in college and gained my National diploma in deer management and also taking my large and small game hygiene course a few years back which I also gained.

I suppose my biggest reason for not doing my dsc1 already is I studied deer management for 12 months and really not sure what a 4 day course could add other than a nice new shiny certificate.

I've been stalking now with friends and by myself since I got my first Fac but would like to maybe try new places and new species and seems the dsc1 is the minimum qualification needed so I guess my question is after all this babbling is how dose my current qualifications compare to a dsc1 and is it even recognized by anyone?

And should I blow pounds on the dsc1 if only to be able to try new things.

I was in a similar position before doing mine and thought i would do it before it became manadtory as more police forces seem to recignise it as a qualification ive since done level2 aswell , youll fly through it im sure and whats a few quid spread over the rest of your life

Chris, its been a few years since i did my DSC1 but are you not able to just sign up to do the test day now without the need to attend an organized course ?

You answered your own question in part,
    like to maybe try new places and new species and seems the dsc1 is the minimum qualification needed
    , I would say you should have a quick look through a bit of revision, maybe on the bits you might not remember, & book just the test day, if you are so sure that you have everything stored up top, plus you will very likely meet some new friends / characters too!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Unfortunatly, DSC 1 and 2 are here to stay, they will be more recognised by more than your Natoinal Diploma. I can see DSC1 becoming mandatory within the next few years......

As has been said, with your past experience and qualifications, get a trg manual, read it several times, know it and apply for the assessment.

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position