Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric fencing for the garden

Electric fencing for the garden

Having just moved to a house with a garden, my dogs have discovered a talent for digging holes along the fence and in my vegetable patches!

Before this digging turns into tunnelling and an escape to victory scenario occurs and my neighbours cats become dinner I am considering putting a single strand electric fence along the base of the fence to persuade the dogs to stay away from this area.

Im not wanting to fry the dogs so can anyone offer me some advice on kits to use that are safe for use with dogs? I am not keen on the collar versions that are on fleabay.

ps I have tried numerous methods already to keep them away, chastising them, hosing them etc but they seem to think the risk is worth it for a dig!

my bmh likes digging too christ can she dig , but i managed cured her with the hose !

ive only got to pick it up and she heads straight for the kennel of the back door , which ever is closest

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

U would probably be better to go to a fencing suppliers or agri suppliers and ask a bit of advice on the types off energiser and whether battery or mains powered. Even the farm mains powered won't 'fry' the dogs althou it does give u a kick. I'm not that familar about the energisers, i only stick the fences up and leave the rest to the farmers, there could be issuses with the small meterage if using mains as designed for thousands (or 10's of thousands) of meters. U could try phoning Ian smith (James Smith fencing, Tongland)at kirkcudbright they are a massive company and deliver all over scotland, usually pretty competitive prices althou will only stock decent tackle so may seem dearer than other places

I think u would be better persevering with training and not giving the dogs unsupervised time in the garden until they stop diggin. Depending on the breeds it shouldnae be to hard to get them to stop as long as u are consistant, so u cannae give them a row 1 min then leave them to dig freely while u get ur tea type off thing.

A 3 rd option depending on ur garden would be to run a rabbit net along the bottom off the fence and leave 12" or so to be turned back into the garden this could be slightly buried or pegged down. The turn back is the most important bit, no good digging it in vertically.

Hope u find a solution

I would suggest a "stinger" type for pheasant pen fencing. You can get one for about 80 which is powered by 2 C size batteries so very convenient, fencing posts come in all shapes and sizes. Have a look on Agrigame website but then go to your local farm supplies and buy cheaper there instead!!! (batteries last several weeks too) If its good for foxes and badgers it should stop your little angels. If you want the exact spec of the one I have drop me pm and I'll go find it in the shed.

I would avoid this if possible as it might work too well and leave the dog associating all fences with electric shocks especially if it gets a zap out in a field somewhere.

Too right , you dont want your dogs shy of fences

Because I live on the side of a cleave my log shed roof is only a couple of feet higher than my part of my garden. My dogs used to love to stand on the roof and jump down into the yard behind if they thought they should be with me.

To cure this I used electric fence. A simple energiser working of an old car battery and a few strands of wire cured the problem. The fence is now only switched on for a short time when I get a new dog.

It has never made my dogs wary of fences, in fact we use electric "deer wire" round some of our game plots and the dogs remember which plots are electrified and which are not and will stay clear of the live ones but have no hesitation in going through the wire into the others. I have to take them through the live ones, even when they are switched off !

I've used a single strand of nylon/wire to good effect on a pig run. My terrier used to visit them when they were very small and rub noses but when the pigs were big enough to threaten the fence I energised the wire. Result: the dog thought they were voodoo pigs and that whole area of the garden with it. He did not fear any other fence or enclosure. Another (Border) terrier likewise got zapped by a fallen power line and would never again go down the offending path but would quite happily come up it! It seems to be a matter of local topography in their mind and not logic. In short, my experience matches CharlieT and they are unlikely to make the association with fences but rather with localities........ which is what you want & they learn in 1-2 'belts'!

Dogs left unattended can do whatever they want , because your not there. Bored dog becomes independent dog ie. i amuse myself ...i am my own boss... this garden/field/paddock belongs to me this independent attitude is invariably carried into the working field where the dog has already learnt to be unruly,ignorant and independent. Leaving a dog to its own devices is a lazy mans way. If the dog is out of the kennel you should be there to supervise then your dogs bad habits can be corrected Instantly in the right place at the right time.
    I train dogs for a living and can assure you that the majority of animals that are left unsupervised with the freedom to roam are a problem from the onset that need a lot of fixing later in their training.

Sorry to drone on

Cant really agree there carpy old boy! If you are going to let your dog roam the garden then you establish the rules therein. Mine can go out through the rail fences or over the wall that bounds my property with out any effort at all. THEY DONT because they have been taught not to. David wants to teach his not to dig holes in the flower beds, right enough.

Its the old story really, most trainers keep dogs kenelled for 20+ hours a day and believe you cannot have a "good" dog if it lives in the house/is part of the family. Loads of us manage perfectly well, we dont win trials and we dont get any accolades but we certainly enjoy our dogs.

And of course its not at all "lazy" to leave the dogs in kennels for hours on end.

A quick story if I may. I bought a lab many years ago and it became evident after several months that she had a problem with her hip. I went to a BASC roadshow and there were the professional dog guys on their stand. I asked them what I should do. To a man they said take her back! She got her joint removed and then at 5 she needed a pacemaker. I got that fitted too. She worked upto 60 days per year until she was 12 and then SHE decided she wasnt interested anymore. She passed last Xmas at 15.5 yrs old. Never saw a kennel in her life, cost me a fortune, did all I wanted in the field, never spoiled anyone elses days shooting. Cracking dog, poxy investment but thats not what its all about.

RANT over