Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preparing muntjac head

preparing muntjac head

Got a muntjac head in freezer to prepare. What's best way to do this?

I have access to Burco boiler- but how long? Any soda crystals needed? Power washing? Bleach?

Advice please !

Thaw it out , skin off as much as possible , hang it in the boiler to the bottom of the antlers and leave it for an hour , take it out check it scrape off what you can it may need to go back in again , fish out the nassal bones and tusks glue them in and bleach as usual

Just as trouble says but watch the boiling time, never done a Muntjac so can't be sure but know that an hour can be a bit to long for a Roe.
    And don't use bleach, get some hydrogen peroxide to whiten the skull, bleach will whiten the bone and seem OK but a couple of months down the road you will find the skull starting to crumble, bleach turns the bone like chalk not immediately but after a while.

how did you get on with it ? tough little swines arent they

Hope to do it on Monday, will let you know !

Ok, so I copped out today. Took head out of freezer and took it to my mates place defrosted this morning. However, his burco boiler was not there ! We then decided to hang it in a larsen trap and let nature take its course or a couple of weeks.... will let you know outcome.

Dont do that itll go brown and youll never clean it

So I finally picked up the head from the Larsen trap, only 9 months later! It was completely devoid of flesh but the skin was really leathery. 30 mins in boiler sorted it. Need to glue tusks in and bleach. May do a bit of a power jet to make sure all bits are off.

The skull is still white after all this time, so it may come out ok after all.

You should have just boiled it like your gonna have to do now!