DSC1 assessment

loosehead

Hi, I'm doing my DSC1 assessment and shooting test at Nettlebed on Monday. Any tips from people who've passed recently gratefully received.
K:cool:

Did mine 3 years ago, I don't think much has changed. If you know the training manual in-sides-out, you should be fine. I did the 4 day course though.....

Good Luck.

TJ

Quite a few years since I did mine, and I only did the assessment, but if you have studied the manual you should be OK
if you are not sure of your knowledge its probably better to do the full course.

Most people seem to fail on the shooting which should not happen but is just down to nerves on the day.

I have just completed mine and found on the shooting when I practiced I had no dramas as long as you are zero'd but on the day I was a little low I put this down to nerves, Do not let yourself think you must rush the shot just because others are on rapid fire this is where I think I went wrong!!! As for the writen test if you are in doubt over your answer think of the first answer you originally and go with that chances sre you were right. Jelen also have a online learning program so you can practice the writen exam that seems pretty good for the revision.

ATB
Daz

Take a good close look at the kill area on the roe target theres a dark patch that looks like britain , shoot at cumbria . The rest of it you already know , dont panick focus on the target , youll pass it easy

I did my DSC 1 back in March at Wadhurst. Having no previous experience in stalking I found the course very informative and as the guys above have said as long as you read the book before your enjoy the course. The shooting test is not difficult just know your kill area and take your time.

Trouble.
Is it some time since you did your Level 1?
The Deer target is now just a black silhouette with the faintest of line to mark the "kill" area. I presume they use the same new target nationally.

Yorkie.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - am spending today going though the BDS cd/rom with all the assessment questions and zeroed on the range on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Loosehead.

When you are at your Deer identification slides and are unsure as to if the Deer you are looking at is a Fallow or Sika i was given the following advice. If it looks as thick as Pig Sh*t its a Fallow, if it looks like you owe it money its a Sika:lol:.

Good Luck.

Yorkie.

I'll remember that. My preparation was a bit interrupted today by nearly cutting off the top of my left index finger with secateurs. Cut through nail at back and into flesh and cut loose a big flap at front. Luckily wife used to be a nurse and doesn't panic - secured flap down with steri-strips after sterilising wound. Hurt like hell but better than sweating in casualty for hours. Hope it's ok in the morning.

Yorkie boy , it was a while ago . Sorry for the bum info loosehead i didnt realise they had changed it , what an old git i must be ;). Keep your head and shoot straight good luck

I'll remember that. My preparation was a bit interrupted today by nearly cutting off the top of my left index finger with secateurs. Cut through nail at back and into flesh and cut loose a big flap at front. Luckily wife used to be a nurse and doesn't panic - secured flap down with steri-strips after sterilising wound. Hurt like hell but better than sweating in casualty for hours. Hope it's ok in the morning.

And they let you loose with a rifle :rofl: Hope it wasn't the trigger finger and all goes well for today.

ATB

Andy

I think it went well - passed shooting assessment, despite my throbbing finger meaning my deer target grouping wasn't great. Hard to get a good grip on sticks and rifle without using left index finger. Passed the safety section and I know I got 100% on one of the multichoice things. So fingers crossed (not the cut one) I've passed and it'll be on to DSC2.

I've been off for a while! Doping the DSC1 and then two to make it easier to get stalking permission on land or entry into a syndicate. Have been stalking for 3 years and got my open FAC for .243 and .308 via mentor method.

Back