Broke the ice

ejg

After a couple blank outings after sika this season, at last lucky.
Got up at 4, collected a good friend and off down to kerry.
We split up to two different high seats. It turned out to be a beatiful morning without rain, but the ground was very wet. I couldn't get a line on a spike that passed through and because we had no dog along didn't want to risk anything, so I let him go.
Later a nice sika stag walked towards me and stopped for a moment, I took him at 85m. Didn't want to destroy him or his antlers and opted for a low head shot. Found the 165gr SST later just behind atlas joint.
A day to remember, nice healthy fat animal, beautiful morning and good company.
edi
DSCN1861.jpg

DSCN1864.jpg

well done nice looking beast why would you skin it out in the countryside ?????????

It looks like a back garden to me. Looks like the end of a path on the left.

Nice animal, what rifle were you using and what moderator is it?

J

Vincy it was skinned in the garden, in the past I have skinned in the field next to the car and thought it was practical because the skin and feet can be disposed of and at home a quick wipe down and into the fridge.

Jingzy, the rifle is a old sako forester in 308 semi custom now with a heavy magnum sporter profile Lothar Walther match barrel. The stock is the original walnut, changed to a walnut / carbon fiber stock, pillar bedded.
I made this mini mod mainly to save my hearing. It only takes the big bang away, not as efficient as a full moderator, but only weighs half as much and is only half the size. Full welded stainless. Takes the recoil away and the rifle shoots extremely well with almost any ammo. Going on longer walks, I think even the a-tec moderator is too cumbersome. Off-hand shots are easier with the smaller mod too.
Scope is a 3-12x50 S&B with precision hunter turrets. I think these turrets are the best thing for hunting, very practical and easy to use.
edi

Thanks Jonathon,

Paul, around Clonkeen.
Cork Killarney road.
Are you from there? or been there?

edi

ejg said:
Thanks Jonathon,

Paul, around Clonkeen.
Cork Killarney road.
Are you from there? or been there?

edi
Edi,
I drove past it a couple of times last week! In the middle of moving back to the area and just rented a cottage in the mountains the other side of killarney near Carrantuohill, met a lovely big Sika buck at the end of my drive the other night!
Paul

Edi, that Sika is in great condition for the Freezer. Hope to manage something similar in Tyrone next weekend.

Suppose I shouldn't mention Tyrone to a man from the Kingdom this morning.

Claret_Dabbler said:

I just managed to resist which was pretty difficult as all my family are from Tyrone and I thought the majority on here wouldn't have the foggiest what I was on about! :lol:
Paul

Sika_Stalker said:
Edi
That certainly was an interesting hunt wasn't it :D

Wayne,
That was a great morning, thanks to you.

and welcome to this site. A few 25-06 lads around here, you'll feel at home.

edi

Claret_Dabbler said:
Edi, that Sika is in great condition for the Freezer. Hope to manage something similar in Tyrone next weekend.

Thankfully I'm not too involved with sports and a blow in on top of it. I heard that traditionally these match sundays were used by some to harvest the first out of season pheasant when all farmers were in the pub. :lol:
The rut is setting in fairly strong now, might be better to take one that is a bit younger.

Paul,
some nice area you chose.

edi

[/quote]

Paul,
some nice area you chose.

edi[/quote]
DSCF5428.jpg

Not bad is it Edi, mines the white one at the top middle of picture. looking forward to getting permits etc sorted but with the way things move out there I doubt it will be in time for this season!
Paul

Paul O' Deer said:
Claret_Dabbler said:

I just managed to resist which was pretty difficult as all my family are from Tyrone and I thought the majority on here wouldn't have the foggiest what I was on about! :lol:
Paul

I bet they'd know what you were on about if they were from Kerry ! :cry:

Paul, lovely landscape, between Killarney and Kenmare?

Was down that way for a week last summer. Absolutely gorgeous.

Blot, even a blow-in can't miss Kerry in the All-Ireland final :eek:

Now... where did you say your house was?? from the top
This is where I prefer a light rifle.
P1200030.jpg

I'll try wiggle myself out , ever try looking at a match when the wife
is having two finals in the tennis club... son in a cross country bike race. busy weekend. by the way I live in cork.
edi

ejg said:
Now... where did you say your house was?? from the top
This is where I prefer a light rifle.
P1200030.jpg

edi
Edi
I'd need a light rifle AND a helicopter to get up there! Great view, where was that taken from?
Paul

Back