Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spitfires and Lancaster

Spitfires and Lancaster

I saw these flying about last weekend, unfortuately the pics I got on the camera phone where crap, and the only good shot/video I could of got I didn't have my phone at hand,
    I was at the approach end of the runway (n the car) when the Lancaster came in to land, and it was no more than 150ft directly above me heading into Manston airport, fair gave me the goosebumps, the sound of those engines,
    Absolutely fantastic,

Better yet was in the afternoon at the In laws place and could hear plane engines roaring about, went outside and the Spitfires were doing a display over Margate, then they did a big circuit and flew high over where I was, to say I got a buzz out of it would be an understatement, wheres the Union Flag smilies when you want them.

Getting about the time of year for them coming up the tweed valley, usually get a couple or more each summer up here, think they use the valleys up this area for low flying practise.

Had a spitfire complete with D day stripes come over me last week whilst setting some traps.....always makes my day!

Saw them at Royal Highland Show yesterday, just after the red arrows. Fantastic!
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

I think the Lancaster's low flying practice days are over! They have more efficient machines for dam busting these days.......

Some years ago I had a Lancaster flanked by a Spitfire and a Hurricane fly over me whilst out walking my dogs. As Croc says the sound of them approaching fair gave me the goosebumps.

Around here they and the Sparrows are pests....

Bloody noisy things.

Hi folk was on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh today for the Armed Forces Day and when the Lance and two Spits flew over was emotional to say the least. A great day was had by all and " Lest we forget" was well observed great to see the old and not old and bold being recognised. Cheers tae Tattie, Once a Borderer Always a Borderer XXV

When i was younger I went to a local an air show and was stood next to the runway behind the string and post "fence" and a DH Mosquito came down the runway about 10ft off the ground wheels up Merlin engines roaring and going like the clappers before pulling up into a steep climb I couldn't have been more than 30 ft from it I'll never forget it. Not a bad plane for a load of old ply and cloth stuck together with glue.

There was a story in yesterdays newspaper about a noise complain made about someone flying a restored spitfire. What a sad person the complainant must have been because the sound of a merlin is not just distinctive but pure music to the ears. I remember walking down a road in Lincolnshire many years ago and hearing a symphony of merlin’s and on looking up saw the “Battle of Britain Flight” of Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster flying directly over me. It’s one of those occasions that will be remembered for ever.

Fortunately in the case of the noise complain the complainant failed to turn up at the hearing and the pilot was able to hand in a petition with over 3,000 names of people who also appreciate the sound of these iconic aircraft.

Hurf you lucky devil – the mozzie is my favourite also, at low level and flat out what a sight.