recomend me a nice quiet fox caliber

jamesmacc

hi, got a hmr on order for punching paper but looking for something bigger for fox and targets out to about 200-250 yards. the land i have is up high on one side of a valley, i shoot a .243 up there with a friend and its quite loud from the village below. can any one recomend a caliber thats good for fox but isnt £1 and more a round like the .243. i like the the sound of a .22 hornet but not sure on ammo prices and gun availability.
cheers, james

I have a .223 for fox which ticks the right boxes, very quite when with a mod and if you reload I have found it to be quite cheap due to the amount of heads out there in .223/5.56. And is accurate to well over the range you require.

I have a .223 for fox which ticks the right boxes, very quite when with a mod and if you reload I have found it to be quite cheap due to the amount of heads out there in .223/5.56. And is accurate to well over the range you require.

how much roughly doe it cost per round when making your own? i take it you cant buy bullet heads etc online, i only have one rfd within 140 miles off me and i dont think he stocks any gear but i might be wrong. cheers, james

Last edited:
Just for foxes the calibre I would choose is a .22 centre fire. The .22 Hornet is such and is off .22" calibre however it's not so common today as it once was. So perhaps look at the .222" Remington or .223 Remington cartridges both of which are of .22" calibre and excellent foxing rounds. .223 has become more common it seems than the .222 butt he .222 is perhaps a smidgin quieter.

Ammunition prices can be found here: http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammo.htm

Privi Partisan maybe cheaper but according to this reports do not expand well: http://coriniumrange.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/bullet-choice-and-terminal-effects/

Do you use a sound mod on your 243?

I reload 243 at a component cost of 40-50p per round and 222 at 30p/round. You then need gear which costs £100 plus.

You can buy target bullets online not expanding.

Midwayuk will ship bullets to your nearest RFD.

no there is no moderator on .243 but people below the valley dont mind as they only hear a couple of shots per hour were as i would like to use the .223 for long range targets but im a bit worried abou the noise, although i just watched a youtube video of a tikka t3 with a moderator on and it only sounded a tiny bit louder than a hmr

What about a subsonic 308 load with a moderator? That would be seriously quiet and although there would be a lot of drop once you learned what it was you shouldn't have any more problems than with a full house load.

It may be possible to load a subsonic load for the 243 as well though I've never seen one. Stick a moderator on the end and it should be almost silent.

.223 or .222. Either will suit your needs perfectly.
Like Russian said, 52 grain A-Max will do the job and are legal to buy in the post.
Privi ammo is cheap and worth a try. Maybe a kind forum member visiting you neck of the woods could meet you and sign some over?

Yorkie.

Mate of mine uses a 222. with ase mod and some fast n110 powder and 40 grain vmax. Great accuracy and your be surprized how silent it is.

Dont forget in a big hill side the noise does seam to boom abit.

Last edited:
I use and love my .22 Hornet but I tend to shoot to 150 yards maximum.If I went over that regularly I would be looking for a .223 so I would say .223 is your best bet.
If you haven't already read it I recommend Rob Bucknell's book on foxing, there's a lot of .223 data in there.

.223 Rem, ... 24.8 grains N133, Nosler 40grain BT/52 grain A max ............ Fox JuJu out to 300. sounds like a distant .410

I concur...............you will be hard pushed to beat a .223 for foxing. Some say the 22.250, which is a great round in its own right, but louder, greadier for powder, and for not much more performance than the .223

I run a heavy barrelled .223 with a calibre-specific reflex moderator and it's very quiet for a centrefire rifle - 24.5 grains of Reloder10X under a 40 grain VMax is pinhole accurate out to 250 yards. If either wind or availability of reloading components is an issue, cheap Sako 55gn soft point factory ammo is absolutely superb.

A.

I have a BRNO .22 Hornet with a moderator which is deadly out to about 150 yards and makes about as much noise as an un-moderated .22 rimfire. The ballistics run out pretty quick past 200 yards though. The tables suggest around 30" drop between 200 and 300 yards. How about .22-250?

.223, 55grn Vmax, over 23.5 grn H322................quiet and shear Bliss!!!!!!!!!!:D

Quiet
Cheap to load
low recoil
easy on the throat (22-250 short throat life)
Loads of head combinations
Popular

Either of the 4198s or N133 under a 52gn Amax or Nos 40gn BT suits my Tikka 223 with Ase CQB best, but that said I've yet to find any load that won't shoot sub MOA. Cheap soft points with TU2000 costs reloads under 30p a bang which isn't much more than an HMR.

Back