hmr bullet remover

loiner1965

you know those days when a bullet gets stuck in those tiny bores well all i use is a long carbon car ariel which i trimmed prior to use.....perfect for knocking them out

I seem to hear more and more about 17s getting stuck in barrels. Is this really a problem? I've put a few thousand throught the Anschutz and never had a problem. Seems a bit strange to need equipment to get bullets out of rifle barrels!!! How often has this happened Loiner?

Ehh? Bullet stuck in barrel. How the hell did that happen....Like OK ive put 1000s through mine without issue. I guess if you got a dodgy bullet with very little powder in it could happen.

loiner I'm not quite getting the point here why would you carry a car ariel with you? If you think you are going to have a problem surely your cleaning rod would be a better tool for the job.

Why not? You have a better chance of removing it with a proper cleaning rod rather than a fibreglass car ariel that is likely to splinter possibly driving glass splinters into your hand. A cleaning rod with a flat nosed jag on the end would be my choice, not too losse and not too tight.

I seem to hear more and more about 17s getting stuck in barrels. Is this really a problem? I've put a few thousand throught the Anschutz and never had a problem. Seems a bit strange to need equipment to get bullets out of rifle barrels!!! How often has this happened Loiner?
never happened to me but i have chambered a round only to find i havent done it right and the extracters not engaged so i knock out with the long car ariel.
i do not have a rod for mine as i think the bore is too little to be pushing things in so i just use a bore snake....had mine around 5 years i think and still sub inch groups

The .17 HMR rounds seem really unreliable. I've heard of a lot of people with .17 rounds stuck in barrels, I can only guess that they have no powder, and that the primer is enough bang to move the bullet into the barrel, but not to push it out the end. I can't see why it should be more of a problem with the .17 than other factory rounds though?

Sorry to be pedantic Loiner but are you saying you had a bullet stuck in the barrel or a full round stuck in the chamber. Not quite the same!
round stuck in chamber when extractors not engaged properly thats when i use the car ariel....all the stories about the hmr rounds stuck in barrel , do they mean chamber like mine or a squib round?

Clearly something is wrong!!!!!
Firstly check the extractors are operating properly, springs OK and claws not damaged.
Thoroughly clean extractor recesses, bolt head, an aerosol of solvent can work wonders. Finally change ammo, although it all seems to come from the same source there are measurement discrepancies, also you may have a bad batch.

Ahhh, a stuck case you meant. Still, why not just use a cleaning rod? I agree with old keeper though, if it happens regularly you need to look into it. First stop would be to give it all a damn good stripdown clean. Strip to components as far as possible and get inside the nooks and crannies. Give the chamber and throat a good dousing with a good bore cleaner, leave it for a couple of hours and then scrub with a nylon brush. k

As for a stuck bullet I have read a couple of times now where the round has only travelled a few inches down the barrel due to a partial miss fire, on both occasions the shooter thought they had had a complete misfire and looked to see if the complete bullet had been hit with the firing pin, only when a complete ejected bullet could not be found only the case further inspection showed the barrel blocked....:eek:

I personally have never had this however any misfire will be treat with the upmost caution no matter which calibre

Back