gwp coat?

grumpy gary

hi,i have just got a gwp pup.he is 10 wek old and is mostly liver up top and liver ticked on the bottom half. His coat is very smooth,with only a hint of rough around his mouth.With time will his coat become rougher.Some of the other pups in the litter were wirey when we went to view them but some were very smooth coated.thanks. :confused:

My first GWP only had some rough hair along his back and it was a debating point at5 shoots if it was a GWP.My new dog which is 3y/o now is really hairy, if fact i have just clipped him as he was heating up too much lately.I think it just goes down to the breed lines that it came from.

Cheers Davie.

I would be looking for a smooth dog with a small amount of whiskers on the chin and eyebrows at that age. If it has lots of coat it will only get more!

I am no expert, shame Wildman is not about. But as Deer man says I wouldn’t want too hairy coat at that age, the soft coat will turn wirier as the dog gets older.

The coats on GWP can vary, you want a tight coat ideally, if they are too woolly the coat can be too open to provide good protection from briers and the cold, well that is the theory.

ATB

Tahr

Sounds to me like the coat on the dog is fine for the age.
Don't worry too much "handsome is as handsome does" as they say.

I am no expert, shame Wildman is not about. But as Deer man says I wouldn’t want too hairy coat at that age, the soft coat will turn wirier as the dog gets older.

The coats on GWP can vary, you want a tight coat ideally, if they are too woolly the coat can be too open to provide good protection from briers and the cold, well that is the theory.

ATB

Tahr

seconded mine was very similar when young now has a more wiry appearance but the coat is thick. You see some that are purely wirey and the coat is no where near as protective.

GWP Coat

If its like a HWV its better to hand strip not clip as the guard hairs come back stronger

Back