Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basc Arran stalking scheme

Basc Arran stalking scheme

Stag week 1
    Total of 9 stags shot for the week.
    biggest stag was shot by Sanjar & Karen a cracking 14 pointer and weighed 130kgs hung up in the larder there was also a 12 pointer shot by Roy & Nigel a father and son team from Ireland.There was the usual run of spikers weighing in at around 70kgs each..
    The weather was absolutely atrocious, with heavy rain and low cloud for Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday brightened up and 6 stags were shot for that day, Thursday saw a return of drizzle and low cloud which put paid to most of the stalking, quite a few decided that they would let their hair down on Thursday night and were somewhat delicate on Friday morning.
    Will keeep you posted on the following weeks..
    I do have pictures but don,t know how to post them!

On a more sombre note, it appears that no one has taken up the offer of from Basc for stalking on Arran which is currently being offered on the March and Shoot auction..

Photo's posted as promised, you just need to add any captions and remove my blurb - John
    Bob Logan

Might be because it was for BASC members only . PS how many are out stalking each day and do they get to keep what they shoot.

Thanks for that Griff keep us posted.

E-mail me the picture and I will post them for you if you like.

im a basc member and quite facied that but the dsc1 put me off and many others i would have thought

I am also a BASC member but have not done dsc1 so was a bit disapointed not to ba able to bid
    I see somebody has bid a tenner tonight for one of them, I would of bid more but there you go.
    It would of been good if they would of allowed these two auctions to been accompanied by the guys on arron so we could of all had a bid. I await the incoming.

Missed out there didn't we. I didn't even follow these auctions due to the BASC membership part of it. I may of joined just to get cheap stalking but I really dont like being a hypocrite.

I am afraid not everyone is a fan of BASC.

arran stalking

same reply as most of you guys basc member but not done level one so couldent bid shame really i think both would have made good money for the m and s

How else can they check on your competence before letting you out unaccompanied?

Quote Originally Posted by swampy
    How else can they check on your competence before letting you out unaccompanied?
    perhaps they could of accompanied the winning biddders on these 2 occasions????????????

I was on that week as a stalker- one of the unlucky ones! I enjoyed the week even so and as ever learnt something.

BASC have provided shooting for their members at a reasonable cost and there are no trophy fees. If you are not a member then they don't mind if you only join to get the shooting.

The point about having to have DSC1 is, I believe, part of the forestry lease conditions and there is little that can be done about that, it at least means that the guns should know the basics about safety, the constant practice of which is the most important aspect of all.

The guys running it on the ground, Griff and Bob Logan were excellent. They know their stuff and did their best to give people as much chance as possible to get a stag. They also worked hard and late into the night to extract beasts to ensure they were in the best condition for the larder. Bob Logan also had a very interesting encounter when recovering a stag which I'm sure he would be delighted to tell you about sometime so I won't steal his thunder!

Saying that it's down to you to find the beasts, stalk and shoot them and if you can't accept that challenge then don't go. The weather wasn't great but like the beasts you can talk about it, predict it, but you can't controll it.

Everyone I spoke to enjoyed it although some had some grumbles but there are always whingers and you can't please all of the people all of the time. ( you just have to look at some of the threads on this and every other forum).

As I said earlier I enjoyed it and will be back and so will my mate who shot a spiker!