Range finder

johndownes

Hi guys just want a bit of advice on what range finder to get, I dont really want to pay the earth for one, but I would consider buying a good second hand one. I used a friends leica dont know which model it was but it was easy to use and very accurate.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I am also a fan of Leica rangefinders, tried a few others and settled on the LRF 800 as you say easy to use and accurate, mine came 2nd hand for around £200...Worth waiting for one to come up for sale...Cheers

Pretty well all rangefinders do the job. I've have a Bushnell pro scout for years, still going strong. My leica is good, but you do pay for a lot of facilities you probably won't use! I do like the illumnation though.
If all you want is a rangefinding tool look at Bushnell.

Keep an eye on eBay as they pop up now and again, I managed to get a mint Leica LRF900 Scan for a keen price last year.

I like the Leica with illuminated display and I find the scan function is usefull in a high seat.

They can be changed from Metres to Yards but I don't know if the newer models are distance specific??

I would imagine that you'd be looking somewhere between £180-£230 approx for a decent 2nd hand rangefinder if you chose the Leica route.

Good luck

Pretty well all rangefinders do the job. I've have a Bushnell pro scout for years, still going strong. My leica is good, but you do pay for a lot of facilities you probably won't use! I do like the illumnation though.
If all you want is a rangefinding tool look at Bushnell.

Bang on, great advice, I second that.

Buy a pair of Geovids, yes v expensive but the best money you will ever spend. Indispensable if you do night foxing. If not suggest you go to a game fair and try out a few but buy an illuminated type. Unless you are into long range shooting, 500 yds is more than sufficient.

D

Depends on your budget as with most things. Bushnell is a good bet for low budget kit that still works well. I have a Bushnell yardage pro 1000, it probably doesn't perform as well as Leica's etc but it doesn't cost what they cost either. It's a bit bulky but does all that I want and I'm not as worried about it in the field as I would be about an expensive bit of kit.

fraser

I use Leica LRF in green. It another bit of kit to carry around but it really does help to get put you in stalking range. You will find you use them a lot to start with and then wonder why you have them, this is probably, but not exclusively, because you start to get more familiar with judging distance and they just get used less.

Am sure Geovids are superb and also sights with incorporated RF, but VfM wise Leica work for me but have not used any other type except mil spec.

Last edited:
the bushnell i had. had trouble ranging at night. and when it did i couldnt see the display. imo the 900 scan model leica is a bargain secondhand.

I have a zeiss range finder which is so good I can use it as a spotter and leave my binos at home most of the time.

£310 off here including postage. Bargain. Keep your eye out and don;t be scared to buy second hand.

But its worth buying european over yank brands an day of the week.

Its worth noting that I have leica bino's and do not advocate the range finding bino's because in my view I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. If my digital range finder packs up I still have my bino's. But if range finding binos pack up I am up the creek without me padel.......

I have been using a Bushnell 1500 yardage pro...bluudy excellent,wont fail me at all.
Though over 1200 yards I need a good solid shed or something to get a decent return

Ive had a bushnell and now have a Leica. I upgraded as the Leica has better optics and an illuminated screen. However both ranged as accurately as each other and neither like fog!!!!

Had a Leica from new about 8 years ago it does not miss a beat. dropped it into water once and i thought that would be the end of it however 12 hours on the Aga and it was as good as new. (it would still be better if the were as waterproof as the bino's)

Back