Brushcutter advice wanted

Tamus

Ok, My old strimmer has died. It was a little Ryobi and lasted for about five years but now I need not just a new one but a bigger better one too. I was spending about 6-8 hours a week on cutting farm road verges and weed control in some young plantation with the old one (23cc line type) and now I feel I can really justify getting a proper full sized "industrial quality" unit... but, which make? and which type of cutter?
for.... grass, docks, thistles, nettles etc.

Advice welcome.

I have an Epco and an Echo both have done a lot of work on light and heavy duty cutting .The Echo is self mixing of the 2 stroke oil which is a bonus and the Epco has an auto feed on the cutting line which saves time but is prone to damage.

Good looking strimmer Alex... but hang on, I'm Scottish... :D

The same machine is available £200 odd quid cheaper (with the same cutters), thank goodness!... So, I'll be buying it at the right price thanks.

ps. Hope your link wasn't to pals of yours. :eek:

Nope, just pasted the first link off google to the recommended machine. I assumed, being Scottish, that you'd do your own shopping around! :D

I'd say Stihl as well, and I run 3 of them, but my personal favourite is the 32 cc Honda 4 stroke.
I use it with a bump feed string head, a steel 3 leg blade and also a 2 string alloy head that locks pre cut strings in place.
For medium use I also like the plastic swing blade set ups, but not good on really tough stuff.
I have both the 32 and 24 cc Honda's, the 24 cc is now about 15 years old and has never missed a beat, just clean the air filter from time to time, and change the oil a few times a year.
Not cheap, but very good, and very importantly for me, very low vibrations levels, and quiet.

Neil. :)

Tamus, ask yourself would you cut corners and buy a cheap Rifle or Scope to save a few Quid !!!

You would'nt would you ??

Buy a Stihl you will not regret it best on the Market.

Irest my Case Buck.

Echos are good machines but the cost of replacement parts are very high, if you use them alot you will regret it......buy stihl or husqvarna both will serve you in the long run

My vote is for Husqvarna, more reliable and hard wearing than Stihl. I also havea Jonsered which is so old I can't remember when I got it. Only problem with it so far has been a leaking filler cap. Replaced that job done.

David.

i have 3 chainsaws ,a pole saw ,3 hand blowers ,a back pack blower ,4 hedgecutters, ,power brush ,3 strimmers ,a brushcutter all stihl never had a breakdown just worn bump heads on the stimmers easy to replace ,husqvarna just as good only i get good discount 20% on stihl

I have 2 stilhs use them with blades mostly in very rough heavy cover. Never gave me any problems

Stihl or Husqvarna, get one and just change the heads. I dont bother with the strimmer only use a 3 tine brush cutter or a masher head. The masher is excellent on bramble, you work from above to the ground as opposed right to left like you would with a brush cutter or clearance saw. Use at least an FS 400, you won't regret it.

Husqvarna or Sthil, use a three finger blade for heavy weeds and a brushcutter blade for small trees
Al

Tamus, You don't know how easy you've got it, spoilt for choice.

My great grandfather used one of these : To which I might add there is a definite knack to use'n.

3875772718_ff08df2e2c.jpg

Nothing wrong with a good scythe. Cleared many a mile of verge with one. Just as quick as a strimmer in the right hands. My Robin strimmer is years old and still never missed a beat. Make sure you get a straight shaft. Jim

You wont go wrong with Stihl or Husqvarna i have saws and strimmers made by both
i would go for a strimmer with a straight shaft the bend seems to take away some
power would opt for Stihl myself

Back