Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R93 Barrel Chop

R93 Barrel Chop

I have a Blaser R93 in 30-06. The barrel came already threaded at 15x1 with a spigot.
    I have several other rifles and are all threaded at 1/2"x20 unf, therefore all my moderators are threaded 1/2"x20 unf.
    I am considering getting the first bit,15x1, cut off of my barrel and the spigot threaded to 1/2"x20 unf to enable me to use any of my other moderators.
    Can anybody see any problems I may face by cutting the barrel down by 1".
    It is not a 'long range' rifle so the loss of a bit of velocity is not a problem, I am more concerned with accuracy.

eddy shame on you how dare you butcher a BLASER
    regards pete .

If done properly it shoulnt be an issue, but some charge almost the cost of a moderator for a chop/cut/proof. It will also be slightly devalued. Stick with the original thread, get a mod for that rifle.

Ps - surely the other rifles don't get a look in now you've joined the club.

Hi Eddy
    I was advised against doing what you are contemplating.
    The 15x1 with spigot suits the blaser barrel profile for a start, and the blaser barrels are made out of harder steel than most so any chop and re-thread, with re-proof of course, is likely to cost more than simply buying a new mod.
    Getting ready for the boar already?
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Hi All, I would have no qualms whatsoever about the quality of work I'm contemplating and the cost would be minimal compared to some others
    It is just that I have made so many 'phone calls and heard so many conflicting stories ref the new moderators that my head is in a right tizwas.
    Having had so many rifles cut, crowned and thread protector made with such quality that they did not show, I was just about to give in and stay with something I know.
    All my present mods are 1/2" x 20 unf, as are my other rifles, so the transition of the Blaser would not be difficult.
    I have gone to the trouble to get a variation for the new mod but nobody, that I have spoken to, has any in stock for me to look at and each advises me to get something different to what I have asked for.
    The best 'advert' from a gun shop, that had one in stock, was for the Titanium mod but at 600 I'm not sure I'll live long enough to get the value out of such a purchase.
    I'll take a bit longer before I go down the Chop route, just to give the moderator shops the opportunity to get something in to change my mind.
    I'll keep you all posted.

I think that as long as the thread suits the barrel profile it sounds like a sensible way forward. I would be interested to hear who you would use, as I have heard that a number of 'smiths won't touch Blasers, although I don't know why that would be unless different tooling is required.

eddy youve had my advice on this either stick an Atec on the end thread no problem
    or get your cash out and put a lawrence titanium precision again thread no problem
    dont worry about how much it costs it comes with a lifetime garuantee so when
    you hang up your boots you can leave it to me in your will and be happy thats its sitting
    on a lovely R8 regards pete .

Don't listen to him Eddy he will only launch it off the end of his rifle. Blasers seem to reject moderators, perhaps thy are a cut above that sort of thing and don't like some piece of old exhaust pipe stuck on the end of their barrels.

I bought a quicksilver titanium silencer for my blaser. It shoots fine

Regardless of the type of steel my mate would have the correct tool to do the job and make a good job of it too if I decide to go down that route.
    As for the titanium having a life time guarantee, that's not much of a warranty in my case, according to the good book I've already had my time and as for leaving it to you Pete, I don't think you'd get to my house quick enough and if you did you'd have to climb over the rest of them helping themselves to the rest of my 'Good Junk'
    I used to have a rifle once that fired Energa Grenades (spelling?) but it wasn't a blaser nor was the missile made of alloy and it used a ballastite cartridge - not a 30-06 round
    Anyway back to the subject. As it was the week end I have had no luck finding anything so I'll start trying again tomorrow but if no luck by next week end it's for the chop