Tick Trap

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
When you hang your carcass put a bit of water in a drip tray beneath. Any unwanted guests jumping ship then get trapped in the water!

Drip Tray 001.JPG

Afraid they seem to like the water, as 6pointer suggests bleach will help, hardy little buggers and will survive under water.
I've been buying a chemical from Tesco which I drop on the shoulders and top of my spaniels tail, works a treat and cost less than getting same from the vet.

The point is to trap them, not necessarily to kill them.

Saying that, the picture taken above was after 4 days at 5 degrees C in a chiller and virtually all the ticks were dead. In fact I could only see one which was alive...

The problem with bleach and other chemicals is that it has a strong odour which in a confined chiller might taint the meat. If acidic body juices hit the bleach it can actually give off chlorine gas which can accumulate and will do the meat no favours.

Half an inch of clean water beneath the carcass isn't going to taint anything but the moment the ticks hit the surface of the water they aren't going anywhere. Once the meat has been dealt with you can add what you like to the water to deal with any survivors! :evil:

A squirt of washing up liquid will help also. I makes the water slightly more viscous and helps inhibit their movement and drown them.

Sorry to be a pedant, but it actually lowers the surface tension which makes them lie in the liquid and this helps drown them.

David

I thought this would be about letting sheep into a wood for the first part of the summer to hoover up the crawlers and then drive them out loaded for treatment. But this is cool too!

Hi,

What stuff are you buying from Tesco's? I have been using front line but still removing ticks, for £18 a pop not much use if you ask me.

Bod.

+1 Kalahari

surface tension. Nothing wrong in keeping a few survivors as pets, ive always fancied a pet warble fly.

skipp

You cant train em, they just bugger off soon as you let em off the lead, and as for using a whistle, forget it!

Hope this helps.

Back