steaming!

bewsher500

took it upon myself to try out the removal of a few dents and scratches with wet rag and an iron technique..

works a charm. very simple to do. all you need is a hot iron, a wet rag and a dented stock.
I found wetter than damp rag works best, takes a few goes and needs a good oil afterwards.
pictures dont do it justice but to the touch they are noticeably smoother
cheek piece reacted best to steaming, perhaps due to the flatter nature

before:
IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

after:

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

Quite impressive results, will have to try it with my Beretta, does it work with synthetic stocks? :cuckoo:

Yup it works well, as I found out the other night, after dropping my .22lr for the first time.
Shame it didn't work on the scope though :doh:

Neil. :)

Good Grief I did not realize anyone still did that,last time I did that was in the 8os when my mate dropped his pride and joy air rifle :thumb:

Good Grief I did not realize anyone still did that,last time I did that was in the 8os when my mate dropped his pride and joy air rifle :thumb:

Sheesh not everyone is a drone and follows the fashion crowd to drastic plastic you know. Good wood has been in used for centuries and hopefully will still be used for another to come. Unlike plastic wood has feel, warmth and character which is probably why it's unfashionable. Oh yes and it'a a natural sustainable resource again unlike plastic.

Thanks Brit,GOLLY GOSH,I thought that I was the only one left in the country with a couple of wood stocked rifles,oooh and a couple of side besides:rolleyes:

Thanks Brit,GOLLY GOSH,I thought that I was the only one left in the country with a couple of wood stocked rifles,oooh and a couple of side besides:rolleyes:

Well you posted a stupid response to put your hand up for it ;) add the fact that it seems that most post about their latest drastic plastic creation :rolleyes: and as I have said before plastic stocks are all about profit. They are cheap to make period. Now if folks swallow the B/S about them well that's up to them.

However there is no room for plastic stocks here......................... Period!

Well you posted a stupid response to put your hand up for it ;) add the fact that it seems that most post about their latest drastic plastic creation :rolleyes: and as I have said before plastic stocks are all about profit. They are cheap to make period. Now if folks swallow the B/S about them well that's up to them.

However there is no room for plastic stocks here......................... Period!

I love wood stocks myself, but I have to admit that I 'm considering plastic for this autumn/winter hill work, where the rifle will get at least a weeks worth of soaking,,,the equivalent of standing with it in the shower for 6 hrs at a time, on consequetive (spelling?) days.

If only you could get a great looking wooden stock that would take glass and pillar bedding, but not be susceptible to warping when soaked! one option I suppose is a barrel tunnel that's Varmint (HB) styled, with a standard barrell, that 'should' give enough room for some wood-movement and still avoid messing with the harmonics...hhmmm...

took it upon myself to try out the removal of a few dents and scratches with wet rag and an iron technique..

works a charm. very simple to do. all you need is a hot iron, a wet rag and a dented stock.

I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what to use the dented sock for, then I realised it said 'stock'!!!! deffo no more drinking on school nights - LOL!

Now Now old boy I think stupid response is a bit strong,dont you? all I was saying was it is a long time since I personaly have done it, I was not extolling the virtues of either synthetic or wood stocks,I dont give a s---e what you prefer,thankyou.:thumb:

Now Now old boy I think stupid response is a bit strong,dont you? all I was saying was it is a long time since I personaly have done it, I was not extolling the virtues of either synthetic or wood stocks,I dont give a s---e what you prefer,thankyou.:thumb:

It's quite obvious that you don't give a s---e as you put it. I could be crass and say the same.

The inference from you first reply was that no one used wood anymore which is plain wrong and frankly quite stupid. Whether you like what I say or not frankly bothers me not a whit :rolleyes:

Who cares :rolleyes: Guns are just tools.

Wood has a warmth blah blah blah:zzz:
Hi dc5
How sad, so you get as much pleasure and enjoyment looking through the screwfix or toolzone stores as you would the purdey/holland&holland shop.Weird too.:lol:
Geordie

Hi dc5
How sad, so you get as much pleasure and enjoyment looking through the screwfix or toolzone stores as you would the purdey/holland&holland shop.Weird too.:lol:
Geordie

No geordieh .............. DC5 probably does not buy his tools. They are probably supplied and often from what I have seen those people do not take proper care of them either after all it's just a tool.

It's quite obvious that you don't give a s---e as you put it. I could be crass and say the same.

The inference from you first reply was that no one used wood anymore which is plain wrong and frankly quite stupid. Whether you like what I say or not frankly bothers me not a whit :rolleyes:
If thats what you think brit then ok mate,I suppose to be fair I can see why you may have thought that,however nothing could be further from the truth,I happen to like a nice walnut stock too,and (shock horror) I also have a synthetic stocked rifle and a s/a shotgun,wouldent like to take my 78 year old bland sbs out onto the marsh,horses for courses mate I dont think there is any need to be abrasive about it thats all:eek:

......susss..........

Wood is nicer that plastic,,,fact..

Plastic makes sense if you work in the rain a lot.....fact...

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiples.........

You can have the best of both worlds - Custom Replacement Gunstocks, Rifle Stocks - Quality, Accuracy, Aluminum Chassis - Accurate Innovations

A wood stock with full length aluminimium bedding.

On wet days I simply carry my rifles in a slip. OK a bit slow to get into action, but never slwoed me down that much. The alternative would be a neoprene cover just like a like neoprene scope cover, but fits over the whole length of a rifle, but would need to make one.

Transparent Duracoat or Cerakoat treatment on top of a wood stock:D:D..probably doesn't exist though!

Back