A Hunt or A Rifle?

liamnjs

A question that is completely pointless but a little bit interesting. If you had "The Money", whatever that means to you, would you spend it on the hunt of a lifetime or a dream rifle? What would you prioritise, an heirloom to pass down to future generations or a good story to tell in your dotage?! A CZ 550 with a great tale to tell or a pristine European double?

Instinctively I want to say the hunt, but if that were true I would have fewer rifles and many more shooting stories.

its all about the hunt for me ,not about hunting gear a gun is a tool, a hunt is always with me in my mind ,hunting is in my blood not in the gun safe, atb steve,ps good thread

guns can be bought, sold and bought again at any time, BUT that one moment in time the hunt may never come again, the pulse racing, the breath held, a gasp, perfect silence as you squeeze the trigger, the split second that seems to last hours as you fire, these live with you forever and are of much more value to pass down to the next generation than a bit of metal they can't be bought their priceless, MEMORIES.
SO I'D HAVE TO SAY THE HUNT WOULDN'T I.;)

The hunt's for me, because they last longer ( the mrs probaly agrees to ). The rifles are one thing but nothing beats the memories. I have had to sell all my gear due to familys reasons but i ain't giving up the sport so more happy memories to come and share.

The hunt every time, the old PH will last me out 5 times over and still a goodun!
New Zealand would do me too, lucky enough to have been and it's just Heaven.:D:D :love: it!

The hunt. No thinking time needed.

(...and as I've just bought a euro-millions ticket for tonight - obviously the winning one ;) - I'll let you all know how I get on......:D)

Last edited:
The hunt, every time. I already have all the rifles I will ever "need", and you can always squirrel away the cash for another one over a year or so.

The big thing really for me is time. I really want to go to Africa and South America, maybe Canada too. But being self employed with youngs kids, I just could not take off for two or three weeks.

What money would buy me is free time. Hopefully I will still be fit enough to enjjoy it in 10 or 15 years time.

I've got a CZ 550 so I don't need another good rifle, the hunt man every time. They can take your rifle away but never your memories.

John

i think im going to buck the trend here but i would go for the rifle knowing that i have a lovley peice of kit which i can pass down to my son and then he can carry on getting enjoyment out of it when im dead and gone seems a nice idea to me after all you dont have to go abroad to have amazing hunting experiences a good night wildfowling,your 1st good roe buck or even somthing as humble as your 1st rabbit is all the memories i need

i think im going to buck the trend here but i would go for the rifle knowing that i have a lovley peice of kit which i can pass down to my son and then he can carry on getting enjoyment out of it when im dead and gone seems a nice idea to me after all you dont have to go abroad to have amazing hunting experiences a good night wildfowling,your 1st good roe buck or even somthing as humble as your 1st rabbit is all the memories i need

A nice bit of diversity introduced there! This all came to mind when I was salivating over a Krieghoff Classic, and musing that I'd own one at some point in the future. Then I got to thinking that by the time I could afford one I would also be able to afford a plains game hunt, or be over half way to a cape buff or Russian bear. Then I look at my own favourite rifles and shotguns, and pick out a CZ, a sporterised Carl Gustav and a Baikal (I love my Baikal sxs 12 bore!), and realised I am not the Krieghoff sort!

I'm not at all well off but when I was buying my rifle decided to get something that would do for everything and would not require replacing in my lifetime, hopefully. So I saved up and bought a Blaser R93 in 308W.

If I came upon similar money to what I spent on the Blaser, or even what would buy one today then I'd head for Scotland, maybe over several trips, and spend it on red stags and hinds. Before I'd do that I'm pretty certain I'd look at fancy binos, and fancy variable scopes and maybe even a rifle or two but in the end I don't need any more than what I've got.

If I won the £160 million lottery then I still wouldn't buy another rifle - I'd buy Amhuinnsuidhe. It has bankrupted every single person who has touched it but I'm of an age where I think £160 million might just keep me there until the end of my days; or at least until I could no longer get up the Clisham.

It would be a hunt for me. The experience is more valuable than the ownership of something to be used in the hopes of what could become...

I think that, for me anyway, it depends on age. I'm 63. I have begun to sell some of my guns to pay for upgrading some of my equipment but mainly to pay for some of my hunting. The older I get, I find it easier to just take my 7x57 and go. It just does what it needs to do in about 90% of my hunting situations. Although I did not do it on purpose, it has worked out the money I spent years ago on guns that I enjoyed, is now being used to pay for hunting. It seems almost a win-win situation. capt david

I think I'd go for the rifle. I'm not really into going abroad to shoot something just for the sake of it. I know I'd enjoy the trip but I honestly think that the shooting I have is some of the best in the world. I love shooting over the land I have and have the best bit of kit to do it with would make it even better for me.

Back