Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advantages/disadvantages of a Bolt/Semi Auto .22 LR?

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire

Advantages/disadvantages of a Bolt/Semi Auto .22 LR?

Looking for a .22, like the bolt action, but what's the advantages/disadvantages over a Semi Auto?

Yes the temptation is there to chase rabbits all over a field with the Semi Auto, but accuracy etc......

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I have a CZ american 452 and a Ruger 10/22T, both seem to be as accurate as each with Eleys. Prefer the bolt action but you can customise to your hearts content with the 10/22, at the minute mine has been chopped to 12 1/2" and i might fit a Hogue stock, then again i might get rid and keep the CZ, can not choose between the two but i do not need both.

bolt action -
    +ve - more accurate, quieter, less prone to jamming and fouling
    - ve - single shot

+ve's - quick fire rabbit bashing, always fun!
    -ve's - can be fussy with rounds brand to brand but then they all can, can be dirty as the blowback system with lilgun powder means lots of lead and carbon fouling, noisier than bolt, the action on my browning makes as much noise as my sako bolt action regardless of the bullet noise!

I grew up on semi auto, but went for a bolt action.
    havent really worried about that second shot since

Go with bolt action every time, semi will jam and just encourages wasted shots. they are fun though!!

I've always liked semi-autos but apart from a WaltherGSP I've never found a consistently accurate one, Ruger, Anschutz etc; none of them performed anywhere near as well as my bolt actioned Anschutz 1712. A mate has a CZ American I think it is, very accurate. I'd never bother with another semi. As has been said good fun if you want to waste ammo!

bolt action every time for me. i see semi auto's as more of a plinker on targets etc. even though they do very good in the field if you got a lot of rabbits to clear.

i would look at a tricked up one from syss. they have upgraded parts etc and cycle alot better

Got to be the Bolt action, semi's are to prone to JAMMING !!!!!!!

Tried a few in my time and never came across a decent one yet,

Bolt action simple and straightforward hasslefree every time.

Atb, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Haven't used a semi with a decent trigger yet. But i expect there's an upgrade or two available for the likes of a 10/22. I like my little Anschutz bolt action. With a bit of practice and some Tetra grease on the bolt you can get a nice quick throw.

Bolt action every time for me. I've had some nice semis but they are all too noisy for my liking when bunny stalking. Also it is good training for your deer rifle to get natural and quick with cycling the bolt. Safer too as each shot is set up better. Plus you don't waste ammunition by emptying the mag "chasing" a bunny that's running for cover.
    What makes ALL the difference is the smoothness and ease of operation of the bolt. It seems that most rifles need a couple of thousand shots through them to make them really slick.

This auto will shoot with the best bolt guns and has a decent trigger to boot.

I have shot 10 shot, quarter inch groups at 50M with it. That said, I will take a bolt action all the time for manyu of the aforementioned reasons.~Muir