Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which neck sizer dies to buy?

Which neck sizer dies to buy?

I am thinking of buying neck dies, as I have only got the RCBS two-die sets at the moment.

Is something like the Redding Series A neck die the right sort of thing? I am currently reloading for .243 and will at some time be doing 7mm-08 as well.

If its for a factory rifle i would'nt bother,in fact I tried a neck die standard factory rem700 and case got stuck in chamber,F/L sized same case ok

redding or forster do neck bushing dies.
    these allow you to adjust the tension with different sized bushings,if you wish.

Thanks, the .243 is factory, but I have in mind a semi custom for the 7mm-08.

There are lots of die options out there. What's the problem you think you need to solve? Is this the set you currently have?

Regards JCS

Yes, I have those sets at the moment. I just like making things as well as I can, so if I can improve home loads by neck sizing only, as well as extending brass life then I fancy having a go! I have read about winding the FL dies out a bit so they just bump the shoulders, but I see both good and bad reports about doings things that way.

just buy a standard redding neck die. I cant see the point in a bushing neck die. if your shooting a factory rifle. and not neck turning brass. for the simple reason if the brass has different neck thickness then your get different neck tension.

and could do more harm to your grouping then good.

Redding bushing dies John
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Lee Collet die, every time for me.~Muir

I would suggest getting the best brass you can, before spending any money on dies. Change only one thing at a time and see what improvements you get from the change. I find it very hard to justify the money I have spent on dies (or anything else) because I don't take the time to only change one thing and see what has really made a difference.

In terms of the full length resize v neck size debate, I only full length resize and I have some 7 times fired Sako brass that is still performing well. The only question I have re this brass is whether or not to anneal it, in order to get the neck tension more consistent.

Good luck. JCS

I generally only neck size using a Lee Collet die and it works very well for me - as with everything in life it took some experiments and trails before I got the process working just the way I like it.

I have a Blaser R93 and was told that because there is no rotational cam type action on extraction that you couldn't neck size for them because the world would end, well something like that anyhow. This has turned out to have no foundation in fact so I would be pretty confident you could make it work for any rifle should you wish, and should you be willing to spend a little time getting into the swing of it.