Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you? & Why do you?

How did you? & Why do you?

Hi chaps i was asked two questions the other day and i wonder what your own answears were.

Q-1) What/why did you get into deer stalking?

Q-2) What makes you continue to still do it?

Sorry if these are boring to some, i understand some on here deer stalking is there income as there full time job.

I progressed from shooting air-rifles (although I still do - luv 'em!! ), to a rimfire and a 12-bore....couple of the guys I got to know did bit of stalking, it was 'different' so I thought I'd give it a try.

Got hooked.

.....and that's also the answer to Q2!!

(Plus: Same reasons I shoot rats and rabbits with the air-rifle, foxes with the lamp, decoy pigeons, shoot pheasants, etc.....challenge, scenery, company of like-mined individuals, puts stuff in the freezer, enjoy being out in the countryside, etc, etc. And I enjoy it, and don't mind admitting I do - BUT it's 'shooting' I enjoy, not just "killing stuff" as some people describe it. When I stop enjoying it, I'll hang my guns up. Have to say, though, just can't see that happening!)

Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

1) Got into stalking through a mate I happened to be working with at the time, he'd got into it years before and encouraged me into the sport. This happened to coincide with my fathers farm having a burgeoning roe population so they went hand in hand really, haven't looked back. Met some cracking lads and made some great friends along the way too.

2) The satisfaction of keeping a local population at an acceptable, managed level, whilst seeing the quality of the deer increase. Also the chance of possibly shooting a few other species along the way through swaps / guest trips with mates (unless anyone fancies a catch and release programme and not tell my father)

I think I got interested via the same route a lot of people did. Started shooting my uncles air rifle around 10 years old, had air rifles, shooting target rifles at school from 14 onwards, SGC from 17 shooting game and clays and a few of my fellow game shooters were also stalkers so it was always something I was interested in trying. I was a fairly dedicated clay shot for years and was latterly shooting practical rifle/shotgun comps and never really followed the stalking up (big regret) as well as not having the time/money to do much about it until about 4 years ago.

The thing was that I saw it as another facet of shooting, but it isn't really. And I think that is what got me hooked... because it isn't really shooting... well a tiny part of it is shooting, but the majority is observation, fieldcraft, putting in groundwork etc and that was what captured my interest.

My background is different from those who have posted so far in that I had no family connections with shooting and appeared to have little or no opportunity to try it, though I was always dead keen on field sports of all kinds from I was very young but I'm not well off and there isn't much scope for it in a housing estate in Belfast. On top of that the situation in Northern Ireland was such that gun ownership could be a tricky business.

Some years back I finally decided that I was going to apply myself and I managed to get membership of a target club which then enabled me to get my own rifle - a 308W. I then worked towards getting some deer to stalk myself, DSC1 and all of that, and shot my first living animal on a paid day in the Hebrides where I spend a lot of time. I guess there can't be a lot of people on this site who have only ever shot deer but I haven't shot a single other thing.

Of course with missing out on airguns, shooting rabbits and so on it does mean that I have a lot to learn and I'm a bit slow as yet but all the learning is great and is one of the things that keeps me coming back. It also means that I'm driven as much by the blank days as the rare ones when I come back with a deer and of course I love the excuse to be out and about. I also fish a little bit for trout (I've very little interest in salmon) and so the stalking is ideal as it is mostly a "winter" sport (no roe here or in the Hebrides) so that I have something to keep me busy for most of the year. The stalking at home is in forestry but for me the ultimate day out is a day on the hill for red deer and I try to manage a few days per year in the Hebrides - that opportunity alone is enough to make me keep doing it.

I feel I enter another self when out for deer, can't place it exactly, something entirely different from the usual employment of my rifles.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Single handed Keepering on an estate(27years ago) and the deer became a problem. I was 19 and just applied to move up to a .223, it was made into a .243 at police Hq and sent back to me. First CF a .243 parkerhale safari dlx.
    Gunned loads down from the wing mirror and soon realised what fun stalking them was.
    That was a long while ago now and I changed my passion into my living 7 years ago, going completely full time 4 or 5 years ago.
    Don't shoot many of my own deer now, I go on holiday to do that.
    Or rely on invites to go on friends ground.
    Still my passion, so best job in the world.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 10-07-2011 at 19:07.

I was brought up with guns as my father was a gamekeeper followed him into the profession working on both low and high ground eventually going full time on deer,self employed for the last 23 years a mixture of Roe and hill Reds, nearly over for me as retirement is approaching fast only a couple of years left.

I started at the tender age of 8 years old, My dad teaching me to shoot on an arcade machine in an amusement arcade in Matlock. Shortly after that he borrowed an old Diana Mod 25 air rifle from a mate at work to teach me the finer points of shooting like safety, proper aiming and the dire consequences that would follow if I ever removed the gun from the house when he wasn't there! Once he realised I wasn't about to "grow out of it" I was bought a new Webley Hawk MkII for my 11th birthday and it proressed from there. A bunch of us lads got permission to shoot rats at the local sewage works and in a small wood not far away there was a pile of dumped peas that was crawling with rats as well. Many happy hours were spent ratting. When I was about 13 I got into clay pigeon shooting and was bought a single barrel 20 bore. A bit later my dad bought "himself" a double 12 bore, but I doubt he ever put more than a few shots through it and by default it became mine. I'd cycle the 5 miles to Brampton every Sunday and do trap duty for all the others which earned me a box of 25 cartridges and I'd finish the morning by having a round of skeet.
    At 16 I joined the army and didn't do any proper shooting for quite a few years, although I did start to build up a collection of air rifles.
    Years passed and I did quite a bit of shotgun shooting on Salisbury Plain when my regiment was based at Tidworth and at that time I got into pistol shooting, which became my main interest.
    Once the government decided we could no longer be trusted with pistols I replaced my pistol collection with rifles and, being back in Germany at the time I applied for my German hunting and firearm licenses. A member of the station fishing club introduced me and a friend to the local forrester and he gave us both the chance to gralloch a red hind each after one of the local driven hunts. Once he'd seen that we didn't make a complete hash of it he invited us to sit out for a red hind each. That was the start of 3 years of very good shooting from high seats on the Hohne training area in Germany, and that's what got me hooked on deer "stalking".
    Once I returned to UK, I joined the services branch of the BDS (now DDM) and did quite a bit of stalking through that. I've since managed to pick up 2 small pieces of land of my own, one through beating for a local game shoot and the other by just asking the farmer. Both were a case of right place, right time.
    What keeps me doing it is the same as many others on the site. The early mornings when you know for a fact you're the only human for miles around who's not in bed and you are witness to the world waking up.
    The chance to forget the wife, kid, mortgage, work for a few hours at a time and putting some good meat in the freezer into the bargain.
    Well I've rambled on for long enough
    I hope the little potted history is appropriate to the original question.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Started as a stand-in for the guy who did the deer control for the forestry firm i worked for using Sako 222
    for roe almost 30 years ago now and still stalking there ,also doing rabbits on local golf coarse with 22 rimfire
    Lucky enough to have built up plenty land to stalk on and started taking paying clients around 10 years ago
    and help out on a estate in the Galloway hills for reds and goats , as John says above its the best job in the world
    i enjoying helping a novice get thier first deer more than stalking one myself
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision