callum fergerson 6.5x55

sakowsm

hi all
dont know if any of you are after a 6.5x55 but guntrader has a callum fergerson rifle, up for grabs at £1950. got to be a bargain as a new one from him would be 7K. wish i had a slot for it, have a look its a cracking bit of kit.
ATB sakowsm

very nice rifle at a bargain price. though I don't think I would pay £7000 for one from new. you could get all those bits and have a good smith put them together for a lot less then that.

Looks like callums price's have gone up a bit since he worked on my .22 :rolleyes: Way back when he had his work shop in Langholm.
Great work from the man though.

Bob

If someone tried to charge me £7K for a rifle, I'd probably die instantly from laughter! How can these components accumulate to that much???

A. Stock - probably B&C, H&S, or MacM - £600 ish
B. Barrel - Borders, Shillen, etc. - £500 to £1,000 ish
C. Action - Predator, AI, or similar - £1,000 to 1,500
D. Trigger - Jewel, Timney, etc. - £250

At MOST, does that (excluding the work), not come out closer to £3K?

If someone tried to charge me £7K for a rifle, I'd probably die instantly from laughter! How can these components accumulate to that much???

A. Stock - probably B&C, H&S, or MacM - £600 ish
B. Barrel - Borders, Shillen, etc. - £500 to £1,000 ish
C. Action - Predator, AI, or similar - £1,000 to 1,500
D. Trigger - Jewel, Timney, etc. - £250

At MOST, does that (excluding the work), not come out closer to £3K?

There are plenty of people still willing and able to buy his rifle's just because you and i do not or cannot afford too.
Good luck to him on working hard and having a good buisness "Scooby doo's" don't come cheap last time i looked !!:rofl:
Bob

There are plenty of people still willing and able to buy his rifle's just because you and i do not or cannot afford too.
Good luck to him on working hard and having a good buisness "Scooby doo's" don't come cheap last time i looked !!:rofl:
Bob

Of course, I just cannot imagine what on top of the components can put that kind of price tag on,, unless very exotic wood and extravagent engravings,,but I somehow don't think that's the case...LOL.

Of course, I just cannot imagine what on top of the components can put that kind of price tag on,, unless very exotic wood and extravagent engravings,,but I somehow don't think that's the case...LOL.

PKL. As in many other areas, you get what you pay for. Good folk who stand by their work are few and far between. I would certainly buy a second hand Callum Ferguson rifle, confident in the knowledge the rifle will last longer than I will and shoot better than I can.

Regards JCS

PKL. As in many other areas, you get what you pay for. Good folk who stand by their work are few and far between. I would certainly buy a second hand Callum Ferguson rifle, confident in the knowledge the rifle will last longer than I will and shoot better than I can.

Regards JCS

I'm curious now, wonder if there's any pictures of his work kicking around..

Seen this rifle and the build specification on Guntrader. I know by reading his web site you get the complete package from Callum Ferguson.

How much more expensive for a similar rifle is he than other builders, it seems quite a bit. But the man has the rep and lots of good stuff talked about him how do you price that?

I have known Callum for a long time. When he started out in the Borders, the majority of his work was based on either Remington or Sako actions. With the Remmies, he would add bushes to the bolts so they would run more smoothly and do away with the loose rattle that many would criticize them for, whether it made a difference to accuracy in stalking disciplines is a matter for debate. The point was that he would go to such lengths in the building of a rifle. There is also a good number of hours spent in load development with each rifle.

He is a perfectionist and at the top of his game. There are any number of examples out there in other walks of life where 'the best' charge accordingly. Lets face it, there are some fine top end shotguns that all the stunning engraving and superb walnut wont make a bit of difference to the way they shoot and yet a Beretta EELL costing several thousand is the same basic gun as my Silver Pigeon at £1,300!!!

Just had a look at his website, and was quite impressed! I'd still struggle to write a £7K cheque today, but if I had plenty (maybe one day), after looking at some of his work online, I might reconsider:D

on the note of custom building...
I also really like the look of the Stolle Kodiak or Atlas action, put into a McMillan Nesika Bay Varmint stock..stick a Krueger barrel and an Arnold Jewell trigger on there and Duracoat the hardware in matt black, keep the matt hunter green stock, and you have a pretty fine looking highland rifle IMHO...:drool:

Last edited:
I had a .17AH built by Callum on a CZ action. I have to say it was the smoothest rifle I've ever used, and it started off as a CZ?!

My .260 was originally one off Callums bench/lathe........ its good.

I do wonder sometimes at people who believe that this kind of work should be "free". We all have business rates/tax/VAT/ maybe a mortgage, and/or Families to support. Some Gunsmiths manage to do it for less money but that is usually a question of lower overheads and/or not being liable for VAT due to low volume of business.

If the cost is too high.... go elsewhere, shop around , there are plenty of alternatives without bad mouthing Others.

With Callums work comes price! His customer service is exemplary and his work is second to none. It's more than cosmetic, it works and as been said he is a perfectionist. He is always willing to chat and offer advice. Top work, it is expensive but I am glad I have one!

He had this .243 for sale at the princely sum of £3500 a couple of months ago. It's one of his with a MacMillan stock that he was re-selling on behalf of a customer.

Hi i have seen many of callums rifles & there is no doubt that his work is of very good speck. There is alot of work in the cost that is unseen ie muzzel thread for mod invisiable thread cap if needed pillar bedding etc but i will admit that callum to me is very over priced as i could have the same speck build for 3k-4k less than his 7k. He has a certian type of clientel that dont know of the handful of other rifle builders doing this type of work & have the money aswell to do it.

v-max makes a good point that many would be just as happy with work done by other rifle builders and the finished product would return the same accuracy. I personally would use a friend of mine who has built rifles for me before and the finished product to my eye and ability would match anything by anyone else in the country.

He has a certian type of clientel that dont know of the handful of other rifle builders doing this type of work & have the money aswell to do it.
I'll bet they do, but perhaps Callum is better at sticking to delivery schedules, doesn't take on more work than he can handle and is more accommodating in terms of building what people ask for, not sticking to pre-conceived ideas of what should be built. After all, he must be doing something right, as I don't buy that he just has ignorant clientele!

Back