Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your favourite deer to stalk and why

Whats your favourite deer to stalk and why

What is your favourite deer to stalk and why?

Mine would have to be Red deer although I have only stalked them on Arran with Roe a very close second. I think my least favourite was Chinese water deer I found them a bit dull but im sure others will disagree.

Can't pick one, I love to stalk any of them.
    OK, pushed to say, I would probably settle (reluctantly) for Fallow
    Stalk one, you stalk the whole herd, they're tough
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

A red stag in the RUT in remotest Scotland.. It doesnt get any better in the UK

I have only stalked Red and Roe and I enjoy both for different reasons there is something majestic about stalking a Red stag in the rut on the high tops.

But for sheer unpredictability I think the Roe gets my vote.

I love all types of stalking and although I only have 1 deer to my name ( a Roe buck) I have done a lot with my dad. My favourite has got to be August Fallow bucks on the stubbles. In some cases we've had up 100 deer in front of us. I also love Fallow deer in their summer coats and a Fallow is next on my 'to do' list come August 1st.

To be honest the two that I find the most exciting are a Red Stag on the open hill, and Jap Sika in the rut. BUT if I had to make a choice over all, it would be Jap Sika in an old Caledonian forest in Scotland, exciting stalking.

For me nothing comes close to an early morning stalk for Roe, the peace and tranquility is sheer bliss!!!!

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Taking a good stag last year on the hill was special , I do enjoy stalking any deer in woodland be it roe or fallow , the fallow though are tough to stalk into more so than roe in my humble opinion.

for addrenaline Red, Sika Stag and Fallow Buck in the Rut achievment Fallow Does mid winter when in large groups out in open BIG Field's

I should'nt really reply because I have very limited experience but I do think there is something very special about a Roe Buck.