xena's find in standing barley.

User00014

this morning i was out and about early and was on the ground ready to go at 3.45am , this mornings stalk was more of a training exercise than anything .

ive been training xena to walk to heel with out a lead while im stalking , and this particular permission has a good head of hares and rabbits (xena loves rabbits:rolleyes:). to tempt her .

after about an hrs stalking down the spine track all's good and well , xenas at heel and we had passed about 10 rabbits and 7 or 8 hares and then a whopping great hare stops 20yds up the track bang in clear view of her .

i could see her getting fidgety and getting ready to bolt after it (i was waiting ready for it !) , then she stopped raised her head sniffed the air and headed to my right , head still in the air almost on point , front leg raised and tail straight and i glassed the field and a roe deer was walking down a tram line in the standing barley .

i praised her massively then turned my attention to the roe ad after glassing i could see it was a buck , and after a good 2nd look , he was on the cull list so a stalk was on .

the buck was in no hurry , so i stalked 50 or so yds into the field and found an ajacent tramline , and xena and i stalked our way down the field untill we were about 130 yds off the buck , but this time the buck was getting a little concearned about what i was up too and decided to turn into the field and look straight at me :rolleyes:

so sticks up , no chest shot on offer so one under the chin was the order of the day !

all this time xena had been patently watching which direction the rifle was pointing , less than a second later the the buck was down smack bang in the middle of a 60 acre field of standing barley , while re loading the rifle i took my eye off my mark in the distant tree line , bloody mervelous i thought .:doh:

luckily xena was on the case so i sent her off bounding accross the field , with her ears flapping as she bounced above the crop to get her bearings .

then i noticed she dissapeared and i lost her for a second or 2 then i see this little head pop up 200yds in the wrong direction (she has found the tram line the buck was in and had tracked it the wrong way!) , she correced her self and a couple of jiffs later she found the buck .:D

so happy days , another one off the list , another deer found by my beloved little hound . :D

ok it wasnt the oldest track in the world , but would still be their looking if it was not for her !

GOOD GIRL WELL DONE! It's got to be one of the best feelings going when your dog sniff's out and finds your deer. It's as if all those days of running around like a crazed dog from hell, chewing this, chasing that had never happened. A bad day's stalking with the dog is better than a good day without... :thumb:

It is well known what these hounds are capable of in terms of tracking hours after the event but it is mornings like you describe which makes stalking with a dog so very special.

I can see Ria doing that after i drag her out of her bed and if she ever dose she will get lots of praise but at the moment i think she will be off after the hare rabbit or what ever . lol

I can see Ria doing that after i drag her out of her bed and if she ever dose she will get lots of praise but at the moment i think she will be off after the hare rabbit or what ever . lol

belive me 6p i had to go into the kennel after her to turf her out of bed at 3.15 this morning !

she does like her pit :lol:

No problems to me malk i have a dog that will do it at the moment but god help her when he stops she will need to get up early and she dont like it. But i must admit to likeing her attitude she is a real laid back bitch.:lol:. I might need to buy here a coat she donr like the rain or the wet grass or the cold wind :)

GOOD GIRL WELL DONE! It's got to be one of the best feelings going when your dog sniff's out and finds your deer. It's as if all those days of running around like a crazed dog from hell, chewing this, chasing that had never happened. A bad day's stalking with the dog is better than a good day without... :thumb:

Agreed...life without a dog just wouldn't be the same. Well done Lee worth getting out of bed for eh.

Back