IR Filter for Lightforce 140

Crow Man

Has anyone used one, if so do they work. They seem very expensive, would like some info before buying one.

Cheers, Tony

I use one on a LF170 - they are very effective but you need tape the joint between filter and lamp to avoid light leakage. I found I got a better beam when I used the vertical filament bulb. You also need to be mindful that the whole unit gets hot as hell, so using it for prolonged period when static (i.e. no airflow around it) can cause problems.

I have used it with NV uits from G1 to G3 and digital - it's not as effective as a high end IR laser but a massive improvement on low end IR torches. The main problem is that it's a bit bulky to have lamp and IR device fixed together - I tended to use it in conjunction with a digital Ranger Pro NV spotter, using the lamp via a T-bar through the truck roof.

However you use it, the filter itself is of very high quality material and functions well.

A.

Adam/bri, what sort of range are you picking up foxes with the filter? Is it true IR ie, not visible to the human eye or are the eyes of the fox visible without looking through the NV?
Please excuse my ignorance but I have never used NV only lamps with red filters.

The eyes light up as under a normal lamp. If you look directly at the lamp you can see a red glow which sometimes can put off really warry foxes but generally they dont bother. First one i shot came in to 10 yards and still didnt know. Where in lancs are you

Last edited:
Thanks bri, looks like I will have to invest in one when the scope comes. I'm just outside Burnley. You?

I use one on a LF170 - they are very effective but you need tape the joint between filter and lamp to avoid light leakage. I found I got a better beam when I used the vertical filament bulb. You also need to be mindful that the whole unit gets hot as hell, so using it for prolonged period when static (i.e. no airflow around it) can cause problems.

I have used it with NV uits from G1 to G3 and digital - it's not as effective as a high end IR laser but a massive improvement on low end IR torches. The main problem is that it's a bit bulky to have lamp and IR device fixed together - I tended to use it in conjunction with a digital Ranger Pro NV spotter, using the lamp via a T-bar through the truck roof.

However you use it, the filter itself is of very high quality material and functions well.

A.
In full agreement with the above here.

Adam, thanks for the info, I think I will give the filter a try, I already have the lamp and looking the high end laser units they are very expensive. I will see how it goes.

Cheers, Tony

I use a Swarovski NV monocular for sitting still and when calling to the vehicle then light them up with a LF170 when shootable... works well for me.

The eyes light up as under a normal lamp. If you look directly at the lamp you can see a red glow which sometimes can put off really warry foxes but generally they dont bother. First one i shot came in to 10 yards and still didnt know. Where in lancs are you

Do you see the eyes at the same range as a normal lamp, if so this sounds ideal for me as i use a red filtered lamp at present to spot them which scares some off before using a pulsar on the rifle.

bornfree

They show up better if any thing. I have a set up on vehicule roof so i can lamp with night vision then when fox is spotted use same ir lamp to shoot with pulsar. ill put some pics on shortly

have a look on ebay, for infrared sheets,they are hell of lot cheaper than the lightforce ones and do the same job.i used some on my cluson shooterlight,with a yuokon monoclar,and can see at lest 200 yards in total darkness. good luck.

Back