How young is Too young?

Really good to see other youngsters being brought up around all this sort of stuff. Most of the kids my kids knock around with don't have a clue about the natural way of things, and their parents try and encourage them to keep away from it all. Their idea of a day out in the countryside is a visit to the play ground!:doh: Keep it up boys and girls!:D

Totally agree. My daughter is three and a half and wants to come "and see the deer" with daddy. I think I'll wait til next summer as she's a bit wee to climb up the high seats at the momment. Just getting back into reloading after a break of a few years and a three year old with a cloth is great for cleaning up your brass for you and saves on buying a tumbler.....

My wife insists on telling the Kids the various deer/rabbits/pidgeon that appear were all "injured/sick/old".....

although both the girl (7) and boy 1 (5) have learnt the signs of deer and are fairly usefull on ground recce's. Boy 1 can also tell the difference between dog and fox tracks.

Totally agree. My daughter is three and a half and wants to come "and see the deer" with daddy. I think I'll wait til next summer as she's a bit wee to climb up the high seats at the momment. Just getting back into reloading after a break of a few years and a three year old with a cloth is great for cleaning up your brass for you and saves on buying a tumbler.....

Breaks my heart when I'm about to set off and my 3 year old boy says: "Are you going shootings deers daddy?" Then he starts rushing to put on his "Spitfire" shoes to come with me (He would sit and watch "The Battle of Britain" for hours, anything of a DPM colour scheme is "Spitfire"!) Maybe I'll take him out with me for a sit in a high seat early in the Fallow season this year. If the thread is still alive I'll put a photo on! The good thing is that i haven't forced any of this onto them, but they've taken a natural interest in it. The girl used to come out in the garage when she was about 5 and "Help" me skin deer! Not many kids would go near a dead thing, let alone get their hands dirty on it!

Is this too young to start training them?:D

View attachment 8001

Never too soon to get them out and about with you and I must say you are lucky to have a lad and one that may be Interested I following dad...I started at about 7 or 8 following dad around with an unloaded 410...Just noticed that he needs to work on his technique as he may be left eye dominant ;)...Good on you...Cheers

my little girl is 3 and when ive been out on pigeons i crown them and put them into a bucket which she then washes them and puts them into pairs in sandwich bags , when we out walking she stops and says daddy i can smell a fox , we also got asked to go into the school as they have rabbits at school and she said that her daddy shoots them and they told her that he shouldnt cos they have babies to which she replied well if my daddy didnt shoot them we would have no cherios in the farmers field !!!!!!!! school questioning me if i think it is right for her to see dead rabbits, fox etc i said of course it is she knows were her food comes from and is not fased by it and she knows more about animals, reptiles and wildlife than most of the teachers in the place ,taken her out ferreting to which was a laugh we said to her if you see a bunny run into net shout daddy next thing we know is a load squeel so we turn around and find she has seen a rabbit and ran and jumped on it belly down and trying to get hold of it it managed to get out of net and run away whcih she stil blames me for now lol she loves it

Last edited:
Back