West Mercia variation tunaround

Rols

Hi

Anyone had a variation in with West Mercia lately?

Sent mine in 8 weeks ago and still not even had a phone call. Just wondering how long they are taking at the moment?

Cheers

Rich

Hi mate sent mine in at the beggining oy may still not had anything back yet, phoned them last week and they said it wouldnt be long as they had nearly got to the end of aprils paper work. I only wanted a silencer swap onto another caliber. earlier this year it 2and a bit months to get a one for one variation from a.222 to a .243. There seriously under staffed.

Guess I leave it a while longer then before I give them a call....

Thanks for the reply...

i sent ticket back in to get 25/06 slot i didn't fill. for a one for one to a 270 slot.

that was over 3 weeks ago. and still cant see why they havent sent it back out. i dont need a visit ? as i was offered to have a 270 off the feo in the 1st place.
the land is past so its not like they have to check that.

i think most of the back log is down to poor com's in the office. they cant even get the forms on there site right. there are bits missing off them.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My FAC runs out on 16th of this month, paperwork came through at start of May and I sent it back within a week. I called last week to see how things were progressing only to be told they are still dealing with applications received in January :eek:!!!!!!

My FAC runs out on 16th of this month, paperwork came through at start of May and I sent it back within a week. I called last week to see how things were progressing only to be told they are still dealing with applications received in January :eek:!!!!!!

Crikey!! they must be seriously under staffed:eek:

What they are doing is dealing with applications alternately. They are stored in date order received and they pull one off the top of the pile to process and then one off the bottom. That way they produce the best possible 'average' turnaround time - at least that's what I've been told by two FEOs.

What they are doing is dealing with applications alternately. They are stored in date order received and they pull one off the top of the pile to process and then one off the bottom. That way they produce the best possible 'average' turnaround time - at least that's what I've been told by two FEOs.

Just be my luck to be stuck in the middle of the pile!!

there useless. to big a area to cover and not enough staff.

i think a couple of polite letters from the people that fall under this force might help.
if ever the fees go up and they will trust me !

people will want a much better service

got mine back last wednesday, I sent it in at the begining of may thats about 11weeks to get a silencer taken off and put back on for a different caliber.

A little update on this.... Had a phone call today from a very polite lady from the firearms department to book an appointment for the FEO to come out to me. Unforunately I've had to put him off for two weeks as I'm away on holiday so I guess that 10 - 11 weeks is about the turnaround time for West Mercia at the moment

Ahh , i had a letter off them 2 weeks ago saying i had 2 lodge my guns with a rfd or dispose of them due to me not renewing my ticket , I phoned them up amd politely told them i had sent my renewal in 8 weeks ago and they had cashed my check .Asked how long it would be and they said they were still getting though feburarys.

west mercia have always been slow. Its strange how some licensing depts can manage to operate well within the times that Mercia manage. Surely they must have performance targets somewhere that they have to meet?

I think that incompetence has alot to do with the excessive times in that office, based on my dealings with them.

I found the FEO's good though.....

my feo is excellent really nice chap and very helpfull, but on the other hand I phoned the office a while ago to see what was happening as I hadnt heared anything from them for months and had my head bitten off by a very rude lady on the other end of the phone who said it will be with me when its done. when I have phoned in the past they couldnt be anymore helpfull

my feo is excellent really nice chap and very helpfull, but on the other hand I phoned the office a while ago to see what was happening as I hadnt heared anything from them for months and had my head bitten off by a very rude lady on the other end of the phone who said it will be with me when its done. when I have phoned in the past they couldnt be anymore helpfull

A colleague of mine has just had exactly the same experience. Polite enquiry as to progress and head chewed off as a result! I also find the current batch of FEOs entirely amenable and helpful. They are let down by the lack of back office support.

if you get aything other that polite and professional treatment don't be affraid to tell them that they are after all public servants who should get a different job if doing their current one is too demanding for them.

If some more people were to write to the Chief Constables Staff Officer, the head of the Police Liason Committee and their MP perhaps their service might get a little quicker than if it's just me doing it.

If you haven't done this, then you only have yourselves to blame, and bleating about it will get you no where.

A little known fact about MP's, they will only do something for you if enough constituents write (or email) to them about a single issue.

The future of the West Mercia Firearms Department is in your hands........................

Simon

Back