.338 Win Mag ban on ranges

JabaliHunter

I think I am correct that you can no longer shoot .338 cal on MOD ranges or ranges that share a MOD danger area. This is due to the high muzzle energy of the .338 Lapua sniper rifle, but the blanket ban captures other .338s too, a bit like the old .450 ban in India.

So where can you shot a .338?

Sorry cannot help much.. Reepham Moor range in Lincolnshire even though only 75m is OK as it's cleared for .50 Cal Browning.

As for the ban well it just goes to show how little the military really knows now. Their knowledge seems to stop at 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 338 Lapua and .50 Browning unlike days of yore when they knew more or so it seems.. so much for progress.

Oh I doubt the NRA will be of any use either just like in the past few decades too busy hiding and sipping their Pimms.

I think I am correct that you can no longer shoot .338 cal on MOD ranges or ranges that share a MOD danger area. This is due to the high muzzle energy of the .338 Lapua sniper rifle, but the blanket ban captures other .338s too, a bit like the old .450 ban in India.

Kynoch thetford ;)

At worcop range you can use 338 lapua and 50 cal but you need a qualified NRA high power rifle range officer and have to prove your rifle is zeroed at 200yard /mtr before you can shoot as far as i can remember and you can not use expanding ammo on any Mod range.

Bob

You can use it, and expanding ammunition for it on any private range with a standard Safety Certificate.

Our range has the same velocity and energy limits as the MOD standard (3300 FPS and around 5700 FPE) so will take almost anything short of .50 BMG.

It appears that only MOD ranges and ranges leased directly from the MOD such as Bisley have this ban on .338 WM.

I shoot mine at Lydd military ranges, you can shoot upto 50 cal but you can only shoot when the military are using it so you sometimes get cancelled at short notice. You need to join a civilian club like the fifty cal club or offas Dyke, if you want any details just PM me

If you don't exceed the Range Orders limit on muzzle energy (4500 joules, I believe) there is no problem using it.
The answer would be to handload your own ammo.
Cast boolits would be good to use as well, I do with my 416 Rem Mag.

You can use .338 on mod ranges providing it doesn't exceed the ranges muzzle energy limit. but you have to carry out a high muzzle energy rifle zeroing procedure before you shoot them at long range so it's just a case of proving that the .338 is zero'd by shooting at a 200m target before shooting it at longer ranges. Something you have to do everytime you turn up to shoot it at an mod range just to make sure all of your shots land In the Back stop.

If it's any use, my range is cleared to 5160 ft lbs/ 7000j and I have several 338 lap mags come to visit, I am an HME RCO to boot, if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Regards

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range

Ah Warcop range , sent some down there toward roman fell , dont know if you can still use that cal there

Recent oddities in the banning dept, (since rescinded), no one allowed in the butts on 'B' range Sealand, whilst .308 / 7.62 in use, no moderators @ Altcar, ?????:rolleyes:

Back