Variation

25-06 Rem

Got my variation for .243 going in next week, with out kicking the arse out of it what would be reasonable to put down for possession and purchase ??

Many thanks

If you are going to re-load in the future you need 300 to purchase and 500 to have in stock respectively.
I have that on all of my centre-fire rifles.

HWH.

Last edited:
i would go for buy 200 keep 300. simple reason most bullets are sold in boxes of 100. if for instant you use two loads one for fox 70 grain and one for deer 100 grain. you wouldn't be able to buy both boxes when in the shop due to your buy limit. always handy to be able to buy a couple of boxes even if your are using one bullet for both jobs. less trips back to the shop :)

All depends on the FLO, and how long you have had an FAC. Don't know what difference that makes though :cuckoo:.

My first FLO would only give me "hold 60","buy 40".

I'm now in my 3rd Force area and have "hold 400","buy 300".

Go for something like what has already been said, "hold 300","buy 200". A 100 round buffer is not excesssive,

TJ

Depends how often you are going to shoot it, why have buy 300 when you only shoot 100 a year, if planning to home load, don,t forget to ask for expanding heads.

'How longs a piece of string' ..... very much depends on how active a shot you are ?

Important thing to keep in mind is that the firearms license dept will want to see you purchase / repurchase ammo at least a couple of times during the 5 years validity of your FAC. As such, dont go too high with purchase or holding capacity.

500 to purchase
550 to hold
Warwickshire are normally ok with that

that way you can bulk purchase to maintain same brand and batch consistency ( cost does not come into it as a reason ))
also it is exceptable for homeloaders to hold that amount and more
the other thing that may also factor would be if you wanted to use several different bullet head weights
as Jay22 has suggested
such as 70g ballistic tips for foxes , 100g's for deer and possibly a lead free,
so you may wish to purchase several hundred in each weight to keep the same batch no's as they normaly come in boxes of a hundred

The local plod would only give me 40 -60 as TJ says until I had actually bought my reloading gear then they upped it to 200 - 250 ,so it will as others have said depend on your FLO

Why not just put in for the amounts advise in the Home Office Guidance to the Police?

You can download a copy from the sticky at the top of the 'Legal Issues' section of the forum and quote it verbatim to your FLD.

Check out chapter 13 and in particular section 28.

It states that for deer normal quantities are possess 250, acquire 200. If you handload then it would be reasonable to doulbe those amounts to take expanding missiles/bullets into account.

What are these FLOs that try and limit people to 20-40 rounds on?

I put in for my variation for .243 a couple of months ago, buy 250 hold 300. When i had ticket back i had buy 100 an hold 160.
So i does go to show that you don't always get what you ask for.

DD

Go reasonable buy 100 hold 120. see how that does , you can always ask for more . If you going out often, you will. If your an arm chair shooter, 100 will last 3 years plus !! :lol:

Back