Yesterday morning

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Glen Cadwallader and I went up to one of my permissions for a mornings sport. I took my quad up the open hill bit to provide the midges with sport, and the intrepid Glen set off on foot. I won't spoil it for him best let him tell the story, I'll show the videos.

These photo's are where I was at one end of the ground,

Sallachy5.jpg

Sallachy6.jpg

Sallachy9.jpg

These two wee vids show Glen emerging from the wood!

John

I'm glad you have learned how to focus this one John, looking at an out of focus fireplace was not that entertaining last year:zzz:
Looks a nice piece of ground , maybe you will let the motley crew have a look next year ?
Well done Glen, it's a bugger dragging on your own, still at least the antlers kept your hands warm:D

John,

A cracking morning, I am still reeling over my misfortune with the wee roe buck.. never mind If you don't pick him up tonight, he won't see the week out!

6pointer, yes indeed, it is a cracking piece of ground (large) a lot of deer traffic, a lot of stalking and some good vantage points for dusk and dawn, I would think 40 deer by the end of spring will be probable.

Robin, I dragged it three quarters of a mile through deep burns, windblow and deep bracken, absolutley no chance of getting a quad up in that section (50yr old timber) due to lack of rides and windblow.

I've got a few aches and pains today I can tell you!

Do you chaps not just loves JAYB's encouragement on the vids, Priceless.. An absolute gent of a bloke though and I look forward to a few stakeouts in the coming months John.

I'm up there with Tartinjock tonight, TJ dragged a Red stag out of there last week so he will be used to it, but I will offer "encouragement" if needed :D.

Now get yourself sorted Glen there is a lot to do up there!

John

My buddies over here say we want a 'DCI'(deer scene investigation). How far, what gun and load, bullet performance and animal weight. If it's not too much trouble, thanks, capt david

Toby, yes indeed, a very good stalk through woodland, very challenging as it is very noisy underfoot! All equipment performing well though!

Captdavid, you will see the Staggie in my album, it was head shot, 110metres, sako 85 .270 using swarovski 3-12x50 scope. Norma 130gr soft nose ammunition. A very tried and tested round here in Scotland.

The beast was 46kg once at the game dealer.

Common Glen less of the dramatics mate thats only a baby god help you when you get a big lad. We have roe deer that size down here :rofl: See you in a few weeks

When one takes them to the dealer, I believe that means hide on, head and legs off. I'm I correct? About how much does that equal in live weight? Thanks again. capt david

Steady on John.
Keep that tame one well hidden until the end of the month....
Looks like a cracking place. TJ was right (again)
Alan

When one takes them to the dealer, I believe that means hide on, head and legs off. I'm I correct? About how much does that equal in live weight? Thanks again. capt david

David, yes indeed it does, when they go to the game dealer here, they are completley cleaned out, head and feet off also.
Live weight I would think would be 75kg in this instance. Red deer here can grow much larger and I have shot some very heavy Red stags in years gone by.

Well done Glen, when i rang jayb yesterday he was still grafting whilst you were showing off your deer to his good lady. when i say grafting he said he was pouring the tea :rofl: im glad to see john kept you going while you had a bit of a drag !!

HaHa yes .308, she makes a cracking brew does mrs Jayb! John lives like a king:D

Hopefully you will make it up this year to see the new forest!

Rgds G

Alan,
TJ and I were up there yesterday afternoon / evening, no joy but it was nice to be out. I explained to the midges that there would be some fresh blood in from the East coast pretty soon.
16072011057.jpg

Andy I will have you know that I take my "grafting" very seriously, do you have any idea how much training time I devoted to my catering manager :D

John

Looks like you had a great stalk. Glen, is that the new equipment being put to good use?
ATB Toby

Toby give me a shout when you are next over visiting the outlaws and we will get you up there.

John

John
Thats some view you have there, can't wait to see it for real. At present sat on the Scott platform making sure you get plenty of oil for your motor.
Off tomorrow.....
Alan

Back