Thread: Contemplating reloading

Contemplating reloading

I am trying to decide whether to start reloading for my two calibres, obviously I am a complete novice so can I ask someone to list the basic equipment I will need to reload assuming my complete ignorance - for instance I read that I need 'dies' my question is which ones and how many etc. I anticipate someone will recommend one of the kits but what do they contain and what extras do I absolutely need.

At the moment I am open to suggestions on makes etc.

What two calibers and what rifles? IF you aren't sure as to whether or not you truly wish to invest in a large reloading kit, you could start with a Classic Lee Loader. It is a ridiculously simple affair that fits in a shoe box along with everything else you'd need to reload for a pair of calibers. They run $29 US here. As simple as they are, the premise is the same as equipment used by benchrest shooters. I have several friends that use them, and I use them myself for certain cartridges. A Reverend friend of mine loads his .222 with one and shoots under half and inch at 100 yards. He won't give it up. Here is a link to Lee's site. ~Muir

Hi Tony,

It's not for everyone, before you splash out why don't you give us an idea of your location and i'm sure someone will give you a free lesson so you can see whats involved.
    If your near shropshire i'll run you through whats involved

Contemplating Reloading

Thanks for the offer but I am out on the N Yorks coast - a little lonely and distant from all my pals who reload - they keep telling me its easy!!

My calibres are .243 and 25-06 win, I am looking more for accuracy than savings.

Well then, you must get it in your head to load intelligently and well. Cash outlay will not produce good ammunition. Care to detail does. This kit I linked to will load as well or better than my RCBS equipment, and just about as fast. It's the ideal tool for those who don't want a room full of equipment to make hunting ammunition. In fact, I use mine to load at the range during load development.

I wish you luck. You are about to be bombarded by well-wishers who want to help you spend your last...penny! ~Muir