Blaser R8 Recoil Reducer?

I'm with Edi on this one. The stock is the key to recoil reduction. I once built a custom, light weight 375 H&H on a Model 70 Winchester that weighed only 8 pounds complete with glass. With the stock chosen by the customer -a high, straight combed composite- the rifle had a most pleasant recoil. (comparatively speaking!)

The reality is that if your injuries are cervical/thorasic in nature, you may be relegated to rimfires to prevent further injury. If lower down, you may need to change shooting styles. A friend of mine with lumbar injuries can only shoot standing now per his MD. What is your doctor telling you?~Muir

hi simon
I know what your going through it will drive you crazy trying to decide what to do for the best
I can only tell you what i ended up doing '
I strongly advise you to go and shoot one paul hill at cirencester has one in 6,5 x 55 and has a
purpose built range is a top bloke and very helpfull
secondly i hate recoil muzzle flip etc because of my shotgun shooting it starts me flinching
so I was worried when buying my R8 in 30 06 but i love it and was amazed how sweet it is
to shoot .
I am really pleased i went with the R8 no regrets
hope this helps anything else just ask regards pete .

Blaser kickstop

My original secondhand R93 Blaser Off-road in 7mm RemMag came with a kickstop and a butt extension (held in place by a screw into the end of an adaptor screwed on the end of the kickstop).

But having had a T8 fitted I never went back to the kickstop as the moderator took all the recoil out of it, I'm a 5'6" 11 stone hunk :D and it's never bothered me, despite a history of neck problems through playing hockey. My previous 7mm was a Ruger stainless bedded into a hogue overmoulded stock which was much better with a T8 - it used to kick the wotsits out of me in the original Ruger plastic stock.

As for Blasers in general, I wouldn't now go back to a standard turnbolt unless they didn't make a particular calibre I was after.... Oh for a 20Tac barrel! (I do have rimfires in 17 and 22 though). Easy to maintain, take apart, put back together without loss of zero (ever), light to carry, durable, never had a bolt problem and my various barrels have dedicated 'scopes.

Guess, I like them. :cool:

That's me.... got 2 kickstops sitting in the drawer unused - even on the 300wm.

atb

FBW

I'm with Edi on this one. The stock is the key to recoil reduction. I once built a custom, light weight 375 H&H on a Model 70 Winchester that weighed only 8 pounds complete with glass. With the stock chosen by the customer -a high, straight combed composite- the rifle had a most pleasant recoil. (comparatively speaking!)

The reality is that if your injuries are cervical/thorasic in nature, you may be relegated to rimfires to prevent further injury. If lower down, you may need to change shooting styles. A friend of mine with lumbar injuries can only shoot standing now per his MD. What is your doctor telling you?~Muir

Andy, in 1989 I fractured C5 & C6, T5 and L2. In 1998 I had my first spinal decompression and fusion in C4/C5. In 2000 I had a double lamincomy on L4/L5 which went wrong and was operated on again 10 days later. In 2005 I had multiple foraminotomies done around C5, C6 and C7. Nearly three weeks ago I had a spinal decompression and fusion of C6 & C7. My consultant neurosurgeon has suggested that I do what I can while I can and make the most of it, as long as I don't take up full contact sports again! I aim to follow his advice. I think i might just give anything larger than roe a miss, unless a quad or argocat is involved.

Simon

Last edited:
hi simon
I know what your going through it will drive you crazy trying to decide what to do for the best
I can only tell you what i ended up doing '
I strongly advise you to go and shoot one paul hill at cirencester has one in 6,5 x 55 and has a
purpose built range is a top bloke and very helpfull
secondly i hate recoil muzzle flip etc because of my shotgun shooting it starts me flinching
so I was worried when buying my R8 in 30 06 but i love it and was amazed how sweet it is
to shoot .
I am really pleased i went with the R8 no regrets
hope this helps anything else just ask regards pete .

Cheers Pete, I had no idea you had weakened, it was that time spent with Wayne that did it wasn't it ;)

On a more sensible note, I will take your advice and go and try one at the Corinium range. Paul from there has already been in contact with me, even though he has accused me of spreading mis-information in this thread (at least i think it was me he was cross with) I will go and see him.

Regards, Simon

Simon
I have the R8 professional in 308.
I am 5'7" and slim build. It has more recoil than the 243 but I still do not find it a problem
Scoped and modded it is 10.lbs .
fantastic rifle and available in 6.5x55
.308 &243 off the shelf. The beauty is you can buy a spare barell in a softer caliber than the .308
Love mine.

Cheers Pete, I had no idea you had weakened, it was that time spent with Wayne that did it wasn't it ;)

On a more sensible note, I will take your advice and go and try one at the Corinium range. Paul from there has already been in contact with me, even though he has accused me of spreading mis-information in this thread (at least i think it was me he was cross with) I will go and see him.

Regards, Simon

simon the thing about paul is hes not a ********er he tells it as it is thats why ive been back
there twice and will go back again very helpfull bloke doesn/t advise or deal in rubbish
top kit top range top bloke . regards pete .

Regards, Simon

simon that bloody wayne davis has cost me a fortune new dog new blaser etc :lol::lol:
another top bloke ive met off the forum and has invited me to cook at
future barbies :D regards pete .

simon that bloody wayne davis has cost me a fortune new dog new blaser etc :lol::lol:
another top bloke ive met off the forum and has invited me to cook at
future barbies :D regards pete .

Pete, having sampled your cooking i cannot blame him :stir: Do you think he will have to upgrade his 98's to R8's ;) Now that would cost a pretty penny :lol:

Simon

Evening all.

Simon, I was not for one minute suggesting that you were spreading misinformation, merely that the best way of finding a possible solution to your issue was to come and try one at the range, something I am more than happy to help you with. I am not a dealer, more a facilitator (I like that!) I have 243, 6.5 and 308 (with kick-stop) on hand and can have pretty much anything else you want at a drop of the hat including Mausers which incidentally I am mightly impressed with.

Anyhow, apologies for any confusion, as Pete knows I call a spade a spade, you won't get any bull from me. Please feel free to give me a call.

Regards

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range

Evening all.

Simon, I was not for one minute suggesting that you were spreading misinformation, merely that the best way of finding a possible solution to your issue was to come and try one at the range, something I am more than happy to help you with. I am not a dealer, more a facilitator (I like that!) I have 243, 6.5 and 308 (with kick-stop) on hand and can have pretty much anything else you want at a drop of the hat including Mausers which incidentally I am mightly impressed with.

Anyhow, apologies for any confusion, as Pete knows I call a spade a spade, you won't get any bull from me. Please feel free to give me a call.

Regards

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range

HME, Sorry to have misunderstood you. You will definately be seeing me, a recommendation from Pete is worth a lot!
The Facilitator, sounds like a film title to me!

Simon

Hey up Flytie, Blaser have a unit to fit in the stock called 'Kickstop' that'll help for sure & you could also have the muzzle mag-na-ported.
When I wanted a K95 in .25-06 Rem. (Not listed on their website as an option) I emailed monika.alexander@blaser.de
who very promptly confirmed they'd be happy to supply the calibre.
I understand all Blaser barrels are 'Match' grade & not heard of anyone who didn't have excellent accuracy from their rifle.
It is strongly rumoured their barrels are made by Sauer. Does anyone know for sure?

One of the most knowledgeable blokes to speak to about Blaser is Gregor MacLeod in Tain.
Cheers.

Not sure if your rifle is moderated but if it isn't might be with considering havin it screw utility and fitted with a moderator will reduce recoil by quite a bit. My .308 feels like a .243 with one fitted.

Back