Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x 55 sewd or 270 wsm

6.5x 55 sewd or 270 wsm

well i want one, cant choose wich

tae sam

What kind of shooting do you do?
    They are quite different calibres really, if you are shooting at normall distances(under 200m) then the swede is a lovely round if your normall shooting ranges are more in keeping with african plains then perhaps try the 270wsm.
    I've never shot a 270wsm but i had a 270 for a while and loved it

Two totally different calibres, the 270WSM is a hard hit, very flat shooting calibre, it real shows itís advantages over the standard 270win when using 140gn bullets and above below this bullet weight then the standard 270 is almost as good.

The 6.5X55 is a mellow soft shooting calibre, if fact you could not pick two opposite calibres.

I think it depends on what you want to shoot with the rifle, small deer, roe, woodland fallow then the 6.5 would probably be a better choice. If you are shooting reds, Sika, especially stags, wild boar or shooting in Africa then the 270WSM would be a better calibre.

You could have both assuming you have no other deer rifles, Home Office guild lines state one rifle for small deer and another for large as being quite acceptable.

Best rgds

As good as they might be, the WSM chamberings are a dead issue in the States. Stores can't give them away and Winchester itself had gone under despite their last ditch effort to market another new round (WSM, WSSM) failed. If you buy a WSM, stock up on brass.

I think the standard 270 has more to recommend it. You can walk into any hardware store in Montana and buy 270 Winchester. It would be the rare one that sold 270 WSM. In Africa?? That might be a long-shot indeed. I have a buddy that loads the 270 WSM and the 270 Winchester both. He too favors the 140's and noticed that the WSM gets about 120 fps more than his 270 Winchester. He also noted that it took 14.5 grains more H-1000 to get that speed. (about 20% more powder than the 270 load) He continues to shoot it because the rifle is particularly accurate. Otherwise I think he would have retired it. ~Muir

No experience of the wssm's but I find my 6.5 is so pleasant to shoot that I wonder why I didn't get one years ago. It copes quite happily with west coast stags. But then they are a bit smaller than the woodland varity!

The low recoil and inherant accuracy will more than make up for a loss in velocity and energy.

I owned a 300wsm for quite a while, cracking round BUT harsh recoil, lots of meat damage and reduces magazine capacity.
    I have a 6.5 as well sweet round but much prefer my 30.06 for bigger deer.

Either one will deal with any deer in the UK efficiently and humanely, it is all down to personal preference. Me I prefer a 6.5X55 others a .270, some people hate both.

That really helps don't it

This depends on what you want it for really. The moderator takes the recoil away from the 270 now, so it wont feel so bad to shoot. The swede is a softer round to fire, but it still has a good clout behind it.

I downed 2 stags last week using a 6.5x55 120gr prohunter, one was 225 yards away and stumbled downhill around 15 yds, the other was shot layed down, and he never moved off the spot at 249 yds. Both were over 200lbs.

My rifle is sighted in at 170yds and is only a 6 inch drop at 240yds, so is well capable of anything for normal stalking distances.

It would be interesting to try it on a big southern stag just to see the difference.

It boils down to personal choice, good luck with the hunt.

I agree with Jingzy. Both calibres will do the job, no problem. Personally I have never owned a 270wsm, but I have owned a straight 270w for over 25 years. Like it a great deal, many do not, but thats their choice, I happen to like the round, and as Muir pointed out you will always get ammo for it no problem.