How many of you have shot in the baltics?

flyingfisherman

Hi Guys,

Been out in the baltics this week for a week with work (Lithuania/Lativa/Estonia).. Ive never been before and have to say that it exceeded my expectations! The beer and food was good and cheap, the town was clean and tidy and hotels (although basic) were good.

More importantly, i spent hours and hours looking at the forests of these three countries and the layout of it all. Everywhere which looked 'deer like' had a high seat! I asked a few guys round the base about hunting but they werent very helpful, the only useful piece of information was that most towns have hunting clubs..

i would love to go back with a rifle and do some stalking or boar hunting as it would be cheap and must be lifting with deer! I did google hunting in these countries but came up with the usual guys in the UK selling holidays which are massively expensive.. considering you can get a 3 course meal and a few beers for £10, i cant see how £1500 for a 3 day boar hunt is value in any way, shape or form...

Unfortunately i didnt make any useful contacts out there but shall be putting my name on the lists for future baltics detatchments!

Hmm - - must be a good business oportunity for someone who doesn't rip folks off ? - - maybe you could run it as a wee sideline ?

JR

JR - hows life up there? We have 4 jets up there for the last ever detatchment out of kinloss last week and this week coming! If i hadnt been in Lituania, i would have been knocking on your door asking to go stalking!

Ive thought the same about the business opportunity, seems like its an untapped resource..

So, It's OK for you to make a wee bit on the side but not for anyone else, let alone a proper agent.....

If turning a profit to make a wage is so bad, why don't you work for free?

Stan

Aye - - generally, life's good - - Could do with some better weather though. we've had some of the heaviest rain in history this past week. Last Saturday (the middle of the Scottish Open here) we had three months rain in two hours - - also had a lot of east wind - - the Roe just go into hiding.

Anyway - - hope you're getting on fine

ATB

JR

JR - Good to hear all is good up there!! i shall be in touch if i get up there again this year!

Stan, think you have the wrong end of the stick, let people make whatever profit they want. What im saying is that after being in that country, there has to be some cheap shooting.. I think that theres only a few professionals which means they can charge what they like..

I dont have the contacts, experience or time to 'make a bit on the side' so dont worry about that.. I was basically insinuating in my OP that the prices quoted for shooting in that country dont quite marry up with the costs of living out there. Somewhere somebody is making a crust, maybe a little, maybe a lot but i bet its not the locals.. Im always looking for a good deal and dont like having my pants pulled down. If you do, then feel free to do so. I shall continue to try and source some value shooting and i suppose if i find it, you wont be interested in the contact....?

You go and get the contacts ben, im looking for a trip on the boar this coming winter and will join you for some value driven shooting

How do matey, Got the birds coming in 2 weeks and hope they have the rape off before they arrive! Hows the foxing going? ref this baltics stuff, i was looking at flights, theyre £50 per person including taxes from doncaster return (not including a rifle).. 7 nights accomodation would be around £350, food and drink would be absolute MAX of £20 a day.. So you would have change out of £600 for the 'domestic' side of the trip for a week.. will keep you posted about the more tricky bit!!

Just hold them in the pens as long as possible until its cut, you will have seen some swathed locally so its all looking good. some around the village is going to be 2 weeks off yet but I have some barley stubble to go at.
Shot a very big cub last night, it was the size of a vixen, they are at all stages this year.
Ive got some more gen 3 gear arriving next weekend so if you want some help you can use that and see what im shooting.
As for the Balkans, im well up for it if you can find the contacts on the ground, ive a mate in Germany who's looking into some at cost driven boar as well.

Hi Guys,

Been out in the baltics this week for a week with work (Lithuania/Lativa/Estonia).. Ive never been before and have to say that it exceeded my expectations! The beer and food was good and cheap, the town was clean and tidy and hotels (although basic) were good.

More importantly, i spent hours and hours looking at the forests of these three countries and the layout of it all. Everywhere which looked 'deer like' had a high seat! I asked a few guys round the base about hunting but they werent very helpful, the only useful piece of information was that most towns have hunting clubs..

i would love to go back with a rifle and do some stalking or boar hunting as it would be cheap and must be lifting with deer! I did google hunting in these countries but came up with the usual guys in the UK selling holidays which are massively expensive.. considering you can get a 3 course meal and a few beers for £10, i cant see how £1500 for a 3 day boar hunt is value in any way, shape or form...

Unfortunately i didnt make any useful contacts out there but shall be putting my name on the lists for future baltics detatchments!

Hi All
My brother is married is married to a Latvian i can feel a visit coming up
Geordie

Wouldnt the sporting forestry etc have been run by the state before , perhaps if you could find the next stage of these organisations you could make the next link , would be very interesting to get something working ,

ATB

Hi there,

I live in Bulgaria and the hunting here is first class.

I will be placing an ad in the classifides section later today so please keep an eye out for us.

Food and beer in Bulgaria is very cheap also (45p a pint in our village) and we can offer driven wild boar with no trophy price.

Regards, Simon

Back