calibre for fox despatch in a cage

pj1

Good evening

Does anybody know the restrictions of calibre or gun type used for shooting foxs in cages. Was speeking to someone the other day and they said .22 lr rifle is illegal so he uses a 38 special pistol.

Can you enlighten me please

Regards pj

'Someone' is talking rubbish. No reason why .22RF can't be used. Check out the HO Guidance.

Thanks orian. I would personally prefer to use my.22 quieter and iwouldnt fancy shooting a big pistol so close having seen how quick the cows used to drop on the farm. Couldnt quite understand where the guy was coming from. Something along the lines of not putting a rifle barrel through the cage but you would have to put a pistol barrel in the cage anyway.

Pj

ok suggestions of .410 i like as that means i need another gun :D. what cartridge would you suggest

Surely a .22rf subsonic would be the best option.
Much quieter than a .410 and surely if you have to be reminded to be aware of a safe backstop to stop a riccochet, you shouldn't own a .22rf.
Just fire from above, into the earth, through the fox of course :rolleyes:

police recomend a 38 because they dont like issuing 22 humane killers , reason being most fac holders have permisson to keep hundreds of 22 ammo so the police cant be sure whos playing John Wayne at the weekend . Any 410 will do , a modorated one firing subs would be better , but if your doing pest control work i private gardens i would reckomend a 22lr , carry it in a slip wrap the slip in a tarp , looks inocent enough , on arrival place the trap on soft earth ie the lawn then undo your tarp and place it over the trap then you go under the tarp shoot the fox and bag it up , all out of sight of your customer and nosie niebourghs , sleeve your gun wrap it up and reset the trap then when you leave your just a bloke with a long plastic parcel and a bin liner

Surely a .22rf subsonic would be the best option.
Much quieter than a .410 and surely if you have to be reminded to be aware of a safe backstop to stop a riccochet, you shouldn't own a .22rf.
Just fire from above, into the earth, through the fox of course :rolleyes:
xyxthumbs.gif

a question for anyone who knows...will a moderated shottie barrel fit through the cage mesh if using one, they look a lot wider barrelled than a 22 mod? my own choice would be the .22lr into soft soil etc...

atb

shottie ! tokas please . I once shot a fox that we had dug to with a 38 :eek: oooo not again sir too much gun when your sat in the bottom of a hole

agree with you trouble... just wondering of the practicalities of using a moderated 410 or other caliber shotgun through cage trap mesh as am sure one wouldnt want to damage trap itself.

atb

Thanks for your replies boys. Just wanted to make sure of. 22 as only just pesuaded my boss that doing the occasional fox job is a good thing. And dont want to come a cropper.

Regards pj

410, 20g, 12g, .22rf, .22wmag , .222 , . are all good calibres to use
30-06 with 180g softpoints are a little to much really, as it gets a bit messy but dead is dead

I find most foxes in a cage back into a corner or side directly facing from you so giving you a head and body for which the bullet or shot to travel through
If not just move around the trap untill they are lined in such a position,
cubs will often come sniff the end of the barrel and giving you a full length body shot
never had problems from damaging the cage unless shooting the fox from a couple of yards away for some reason or another

Back