What a load of nonsense.

similar story in Denmark. Carpet layer left his tools in the van after work hours, then used the van to drive to the supermarket, where two officers spotted a hobby-knife in the van.,,obviously used during his normal working habits, etc. he was arrested and sentenced to 3 yrs....

If the police searches a punk on the streets, gang members, etc. they will confiscate the knife, give them an overnight stay and release them with a warning...

now who's the actual enemy of the state here?:rolleyes::-|:-|:-|:-|

If the police searches a punk on the streets, gang members, etc. they will confiscate the knife, give them an overnight stay and release them with a warning...

Not so, anyone arrested in those circumstances would remain in custody until their court appearance; the police have no discretion in this area, the Scottish government has given explicit instructions. Back in April a special constable heading off on holiday from Prestwick Airport was found with a knife - custody until court then special constable no more.

A farmer paying a fine has no more "good cause" to take a lock-knife into the court building than has Bawbag "Mental" McScumface when he goes in to see what sentence his mate is going to get.

I was on a prosecutions course for fire service inspecting officers some years ago, and as part of the course we had a day at the main law courts in Cardiff where we had to play act by giving evidence regarding various scenarios we had been dealing with earlier in the week. There were about twelve of us on the course including instructors and facilitators. We turned up at the main entrance and had to go through the metal detectors after turning out our pockets. Only the barrister who was going to cross examine us and one of the serving inspecting officers was not carrying a knife, as a knife (usually locking) is a tool of the trade. The security guys were originally going to hold them until we came out but there were just too many for them to hold on to so they told us to keep them because as they put it if they couldn’t trust us who could they trust.

user-offline.png

SD Regular Join DateAug 2007LocationWengland (The Marches)Posts1,249
I was on a prosecutions course for fire service inspecting officers some years ago, and as part of the course we had a day at the main law courts in Cardiff where we had to play act by giving evidence regarding various scenarios we had been dealing with earlier in the week. There were about twelve of us on the course including instructors and facilitators. We turned up at the main entrance and had to go through the metal detectors after turning out our pockets. Only the barrister who was going to cross examine us and one of the serving inspecting officers was not carrying a knife, as a knife (usually locking) is a tool of the trade. The security guys were originally going to hold them until we came out but there were just too many for them to hold on to so they told us to keep them because as they put it if they couldn’t trust us who could they trust.
Yeah, there we go again "ONE RULE FOR SOME ANOTHER FOR THE REST OF US"!( nothing personal 8x57)

Last edited:
look at every cop you see on the street most of them are carrying leathermen or gerber multi tools all lockable blades ,where do the rules start and stop .

Not all Leatherman have locking blades. I have a wave that doesn't, and that goes everywhere in my pocket. It's a tool that I use several times a day, and not having it would make life difficult sometimes. If I were to wave it in someone's face then I'd expect to be banged up for it, but otherwise I think I have a perfectly good reason to carry it.

look at every cop you see on the street most of them are carrying leathermen or gerber multi tools all lockable blades ,where do the rules start and stop .
Exactley
who is going to do a citizen's arrest on a serving police man/woman in work clothing

NO-ONE

I wish someone would and that enough people would back them, it's about time the police realised that they are there to enforce the law, not that they are the law. At the end of the day they need to remember they are public servents there to do our will not their's something politicians would also do well to remember i think.

"Tougher penalties on knives announced by Lord Advocate

First-time offenders caught in possession of a knife are to face longer prison sentences."

See www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14244257 for chapter and verse. The Scottish government isn't kidding on this, basically do not have any knife (other than a small folding pocket knife) in your possession unless you can show "good cause" to have it with you in that place at that time. Forgetting that you have it in your pocket when you go into a court building or an airport terminal is not an excuse, as people have found to their cost.

"Not all Leatherman have locking blades. I have a wave that doesn't" ?????

My Leatherman Wave has locks on four of the blades, I thought they all did.

"Yeah, there we go again "ONE RULE FOR SOME ANOTHER FOR THE REST OF US" Cwmman it's the same for all of us mate - lawful excuse. As Widow's son points out most police officers also carry a Leatherman or a Gerber, so do customs officers and many others who use them as they are intended to be used, as tools and not as weapons.

In Scotland the rule of reasonable excuse or lawful authority still applies, and I would imagine this is also the case in England.

A police officer carrying a multi-tool to be used for cutting seatbelts off of RTA casualties for example I think is a pretty good reason never mind lawful authority. The reasonable excuse I am sure we can all work out but a farmer carrying a knife away from the farm with no clear sign of it being used for a considerable time is not a reasonable excuse. And quite honestly, neither would a police officer be able to argue the reasonable part if it was still in his pocket when he got home after finishing duty 30mins earlier.

What is always open to debate and criticism though, is how officer exercise their discretion, or lack of.

The Lord Advocates guidelines in Scotland, is that any person found in possession of a knife that meets the criteria as laid out in the legislation, WILL be arrested for court appearance on the following day. That instruction IMO is quite correct when applied appropriately, as it gets the scum off the streets that may one day decide to stick that knife in the ribs of one of my children or yours, even just for the night. Because that night may be the night they bump into one of our kids. Granted, it is a very short term solution but should the offender have bail conditions in place or is a repeat offender, it gives the courts the chance to deal with them immediately. As for the efficiency of the court systems, thats a whole different debate...

who are we kidding, the people who are currently offenders of knife crime will continue to carry knives no matter what the law says..they're not going to wake up, put the trackies on, smoke a crackpipe, then before heading out to rob some old ladies, think "oh, better leave the knife at home today, don't want to get in trouble with the law":lol::lol:

The only way this will have ANY effect, is if the police start profiling people, and actively searching them! and I don't mean the 75 year old farmer who's picking up a bottle of milk at the co-op:rolleyes:

I wish someone would and that enough people would back them, it's about time the police realised that they are there to enforce the law, not that they are the law. At the end of the day they need to remember they are public servents there to do our will not their's something politicians would also do well to remember i think.

Oh dear wash your mouth out with soap.............................. fancy suggesting that the police and even politcos actually do what their paid for......................... oh dear O'deary me!

Doth thou not realise that the police are the law and are above it? One only has to read, look and watch.

Seems it's normal practice to sell information, perks of the job you know !

Check how many do not wear collar numbers on Duty for instance.

If one did attempt a citizens arrest I can assure you that not only would that citizen be arrested but also most likely hospitalised and then from then on persicuted by the Police.

Velkom to the state komrade.

who are we kidding, the people who are currently offenders of knife crime will continue to carry knives no matter what the law says..they're not going to wake up, put the trackies on, smoke a crackpipe, then before heading out to rob some old ladies, think "oh, better leave the knife at home today, don't want to get in trouble with the law":lol::lol:

The only way this will have ANY effect, is if the police start profiling people, and actively searching them! and I don't mean the 75 year old farmer who's picking up a bottle of milk at the co-op:rolleyes:

I agree, criminals are just that because they break the law. But criminals ar occasionally caught, hence the direction from the Lord Advocate to lock them up which takes that knife off the street for at least that night. It is a drop in the ocean but better than nothing. It's a bit like the law that banned hand-guns, the only folk affected were those legally in possession of them...

The issue as I see it, and I already mentioned it, is inexperienced young officers without the ability to exercise proper discretion when faced with incidents like the above. The days of a young cop being taken under the wing of someone with teens of years service have long since finished.

Brithunter, I know you have a deep underlying hatred for all police officers in general, but some of my closest friends are serving or retired officers. Not anything like those as described by you. If your personal experiences with the police are always bad or negative why is that? What is the common denominator there? Is it always the same officers who deal with you that make it a personal vendeta against you, or is every officer you have come across simply corrupt tossers?

I cannot remember the last time I saw a police officer without collar numbers on display. In fact in our area they are displayed twice on each shoulder, once on the shirt eppulettes and again on their stab-proof vests.

The law is correct when it comes to governing knives, its the individual interpretation and application that is ridiculous at times.

A person's age is no indication of the danger they may pose to themselves or others

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-12910636

This legislation will not have change the practicalities of using a knife while deer stalking.

While driving to and from an outing should we not be storing any knives alongside our rifle anyway?

I have yet to need to gralloch a deer while driving or filling up with fuel so why would I need to have a knife on my belt
whilst doing so?

I have re-fuelled many times with a freshly shot deer in the boot and knife in belt!!! WTF, who cares! my self defense tutor has show me various ways of doing a lot more harm to someone than using a knife,,using anything from a rolled up newspaper, a pen, to something as simple as a t-shirt! a knife poses no more threat than anything else really, if you want to harm someone else, or mug them for their cash, you can find a way to do it!

What if I go to the market and buy a knife, pay cash and don't get a receipt (done this many times over my life), then get stopped on the way home for XYZ reason and the cops notice the knife in the car, will I get arrested! again,,,WTF! LOL...or coming home from the supermarket with a new butchers knife,,oh dear oh dear Mr X, what's that I see in your shopping bag, in a public car park,,you're under arrest...:-|:-|:-|

had enough of this thread...LOL..

Back