6.5mm Options

unicorn71

Hi ,I am looking to have a custom rifle built in the near future :lol:,looking for a 6.5mm but unsure what variant to go for.Any comments on 6.5x47/57/06/284/55 would be welcomed.
Thanks u71.

There isn't a bad choice among them.

Your intended purpose, and the style of rifle you plan, should pretty much make the choice for you.

The intended purpose of the rifle will be as a light weight woodland rifle not overly long and without moderator..JCS i have just looked at the specs on the 6.5 creedmore :D (wife's comment oh god not another 1!!)

If you are talking a stainless synthetic type rifle, a 260rem is the ticket. If there is no moderator planned, leave the barrel around 22"-23". If you are talking a traditional timber stocked rifle on a Mauser action, I would have to go with the 6.5x57, just because it is so nice.

The rest burn more powder or operate at higher pressures for no decernable benefit.

My .260 has a 20" barrel and is a light wieght woodland stalking rifle.
Without its mod it's lively and loud !!!!

Where in Derbyshire are you ?

Before you decide look at brass avalability and price as lots of case prep can be an expensive pain !

Save some cash buy a factory rifle you wont need custom accuracy for 200 m

fox firearms is you friend !!

Last edited:
The intended purpose of the rifle will be as a light weight woodland rifle not overly long and without moderator.

Single shot break action 'Kipplauf' would fit the bill then. If, like me, you're looking to buy secondhand then there might be a chance of one in a more commonly used continental cartridge. The 6.5x57 or the 57R, or 6.5x55 would be a good choice for a light rifle with their recoil characteristics.

Hmmm well I would stick with the 6.5x55 :D and did so. The Swedish cartridge is an excellent one with the bonus of being easy to source.

Mauser's 6.5x57 has an excellent reputation too but is not to commonly encountered but for your desired use of woodland stalking:-

Although it's not so common now the old classic 6.5x54MS would be about perfect for you. Mild mannered it was dropping deer and big game before a lot of the modern crop of rifle makers were in business dating from about 1899/1900 most famous in the Mannlicher Shoenauer Model 1903 of course :D.

I'd go with 6.5 x 55 too. Sweet shooting round - great accuracy at both low and high speed loadings. Good knock down and penetration possibilities. Easy ammo / brass sourcing, and if you ever want to sell it, it'll be much easier to move on than a more obscure option.

Ian

6.5X55, good availability proven cartridge! A 6.5X57 has just about identical powder capacity but brass is harder to source.

I have gone with a 6.5x47 but specifically as a short barrelled woodland muntjac, roe and fallow rifle. Time will tell its real capabilities with regards to other species and terrain. For now, if I was after a 6.5mm all-rounder, I'd probably go 6.5x55 or for the hill, 6.5-06. I'm not a fan of the 6.5/.284 but many make it work well, There is always the 6.5x68 as well, however...

Im in Alvaston too (posh end!!) with a 6.5x55 if you want to go down to Garlands one day!

Garry

Thar i couldn,t agree more about Allenton however where do you think the residents go to see houses that have windows
in or sleep with women they are not related to for once:D Gary i have a 200m range not far from you and me if you fancy
a trip out in a week or so ? U71

U71 & Garry

If you want I'll bring the .260 and you can try back to back ? Although it is zeroed with the mod you can still shoot it with the mod off. i use 129gr on muntjack and fallow. 100gr on fox.

Pm me and i'll give my contact number

I'm in Sandiacre

I could never fault my 6.5x55 when I had it. Now it's gone I've realised that it was one of the nicest calibres I ever had!

There's a lot of info out there on short barrelled Swedes too. I think one of the military rifles may have had an 18" barrel and it was said to work well?

I have a Mauser in 6.5x57.

It has a double trigger, an old Hensoldt 4x scope, beautiful and shoots like a dream. Ammo is easily obtainable and I use Privi Soft points which give me an inch and a half size group. I haven`t stalked with it yet, but I think I might next year, especially for the woods! Below is a video I made of my wife shooting it for the first time. please excuse the quality, of the video, not my wife; she was pregnant at the time!

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/lynnzurich/Mauser%20M98/

Last edited:
A good friend is having a custom hunting rifle built in an English tradional style right now. The metalwork is done & the stock is being hand carved at the stockmaker. He's hoping this is all going to be done by the end of Aug. so he can break in the barrel & have a load ready to hunt with by mid September.
Barrel - Shilen 24", 1 in 8 twist. Action - GBR UK (Cheshire) made Sako Style.
Trigger - Arnold Jewel.
Scope - Swarovski Z6 3-12 x 50 & 30mm tube.
Total weight estimated to be approx. 8lbs.
The calibre he's chosen is 6.5x47 using a Hornady SST 129gn bullet.
This will be a 'Blued' not stainless rifle & specifically for hunting. Cheers.

Last edited:
Great morning on the range with Chris and Garry this morning !
Hope it did not muddy your choice of caliber Chris .

Kelvin and i both had a good time and good conversation thank's again for the trip.

Dean

Back