Thread: 260 rem

260 rem

slightly tempted by a 260 today at the gamefair ,dont know too much about this cal apart from the sales pitch from sportsmans can anyone enlighten me, was going for a 6.5x55 and do away with the 243 but i dont know about ammo available etc .they were doing a half decent trade in on my unseen 243 told me to rfd it to them my only worry was when they got it they then drop my trade in price
    also had a look at the macmillon stock on the pro hunters what a pig ugly thing that is i will stick with my nice flexi ones at least they shoot round corners lol

I like the 260 Rem, but factory ammo is dear. The Sportsman quoted me >£40 a box the other day and that wasn't even considering getting it delivered to a local RFD. The last lot I got before getting into reloading cost £40 a box delivered.

Good luck. JCS

Just bought a 6.5x47lapua which as similar ballistics to a .260rem, Ammo is all expensive now at just under £2 per round but hey venison prices are up so cant win on every thing, sportmans are good ,if you told the truth about your rifle they will honor the price they gave you.
    The good looking things arent always the best performers, so you have to decide do you want to look the part or act the part??
    Good luck

thanks just been reading the 6.5 thread ,as i dont reload YET think i will go for a 6.5 x55 ,i know the mkll pro hunter stock is not really a thing of beauty but that mc swirly thingy was so square and not smooth looking at all ,it did shoulder nice though u are probably right HM about the good looking ,and performance

I have heard that the standard stocks are very flexible and can cause problems with changing point of impact especially with biopds, I would go with the Mcswirly stock option personally, I bet that is why they are being offered !!

over £600 though added to the cost ,the wife thing of beauty she is would turn ugly ,dont have to tell her i suppose

The 260rem is a great round, but it really is for handloaders only. I love the swirly McMillans, but given the price of the Steyr with the McMillan upgrade, I would buy a new Sako instead.

If you want to stay with a short action round and keep the 243, think about a 7/08, excellent round also.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

got a 308 steyr, kinda fallen out with the 243 over the yrs so in need of a change ,the wife would like the 243 but cant afford it lol

I've been looking at .260Rem. recently and think it seems a very good cartridge for everything in this country and many species in other parts of the world. There's always going to be lots of discussion about calibre, in truth you should get what you really want as long as it's practical for what you want to do.
    It'd be best if you are geared up for reloading if you buy this cal. although I'm sure factory stuff is available.
    If I buy another barrel, it'd most likely be for this cartridge.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!