Roe V Muntjac

Alycidon

I live in an area that is more or less deviod of deer. For the last 40 years we have had an occasional Munty about, no more than 3 or 4 over 2000 acres. They just dont increase but being so thin on the ground dont do much damage either. I dont shoot them.

A few weeks ago I saw a Roe doe here, first one I have ever seen here. I am advised that Roe and Muntjac dont make good bedmates. So should I shoot the Munties out in order to hopefully get a Roe population?.

A

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Roe and muntjac will rub along quite happily together. Norfolk is crawling with both species, all mixed up cheek by jowl.

there are also loads of roe and muntjac by me all together i wouldnt bother hitting your munties hard i think you will only do your self out in the long run as this roe could just as easly leave your patch as it did arive

in the same situation i have a few more munties which i take when i want an eater !when in suffolk roe and munty live side by side had them in the same bush ,the roe will come eventually i am told i too have the odd one ,i have been ready now for some ten yrs i wait patiently .:lol:

By the time I get a decent Roe population I will be long gone I fear. But life goes on as they say.

A

Guys

We have Munties, Roe & Fallow with the odd Sika & Red thrown in (almost a full set)! They all kind of tollorate each other, however big groups of fallow do cause alot of damage everywhere on the estate, on the odd occassion I have seen some of the munties at last light out feeding on the woodland edge with the fallow groups, the Roe just seem to like their own company though.

Regs Lee

I have seen Red, Roe, and Muntjac feeding on the same corner of a field in Thetford. Sadly the Fallow weren't playing! Initially the red was feeding and what I thought was a muntjac came out. It soon became obvious that the tiny deer was a roe. The muntjac looked minuscule!

If Roe can get it they want the place to them selves and do not feed Happy with company around. For me if you are seeing a few Muntys there are lots more so i have read. Start shooting them and leave the Roe thats what i would do and if you have a doe in a 2000 acre plot she is there to stay if she can? and will bring a buck or two in for a quicky or three. The beter condition she is in the more chance of here having a full set of kids.

Conditions are ideal for Roe, small woods, grass and cerials, big warm hedges, ample water, stewardship scheme plots, game plots etc. Can never understand why Munties did not explode.

A

identical to what i have here +good vermin control ,my problem is trigger happy neighbours whacking every deer they see ,probably out of season too [roe] :rolleyes:

I have what I think is a trigger happy poacher barrelling them from the road. I had a nice Muntie buck here 3 year ago, found him dead in a wheat tramline when driving the combine, freshish hole in his head. 200 yards +from a lane.

A

I have roe munties and fallow the fallow and munties feed side by side roe allways in there own company good thing about my ground is banger guns allround shoot a fallow and the rest carry on feeding so do the roe but not the munties

Back