View Poll Results: Forecast is driving rain and high winds and roe is your quarry. What do you do?

30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go out, get soaked but see as many Roe as in good weather

2 6.67%
  • Go out, get soaked, not see any deer and wish you'd stayed in bed

2 6.67%
  • Go out, get soaked, not see any deer but still love being out

6 20.00%
  • Stay in bed with attractive wife

20 66.67%

Thread: Deer, rain and wind - this morning's weather

Deer, rain and wind - this morning's weather

Following advice from a stalker with decades of experience and with forecasts of 25mph winds accompanied by driving rain, I decided my warm bed and attractive wife was a far more pleasant prospect than trudging across waterlogged fields for the chance of spotting a roe silly enough to have abandoned his or her sheltered spot curled up under a hedge.

But was that the right decision? (Wife still feeling as ill as when she went to bed with last night so that does not enter the equation!) Did anyone else venture out into the autumnal rain and wind this morning only to have the opportunity to count does or even see an elusive buck?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Sorry - I misread the poll. Having voted for "stay in bed with attractive wife", it was only afterwards I cottoned on that it was your own

I can't remember the last time I cancelled a stalking trip because of poor weather. When hill stalking in Scotland it sometimes appears to be standard operating procedure for the rain to be horizontal.

Down south with roe & muntjac I'll go into the woods if it's raining - deer have to get up sometime. I've also found that if you can be out at the end of a heavy overnight downpour it's often the best time. Of course the trick is knowing when, or even whether, it's going to stop raining.

If you don`t go you`re not going to know if there`s any deer around, and anyway, depends whos wife your with.

stay in bed with attractive wife wins every time mind you i am out on the clays later and i hope its stopped by then .

Depends how enthusiastic you are and I mean from both respects.

If the weather is really bad, stay in bed. On the other hand if you have a job to do in a short period of time to achieve it in you have to take full advantage of every moment and if the rut is on for Roe, its always worth a drive round and a look.

You wont shoot one laying in bed thats for sure, deer I mean

I soldiered out last night and bloodied the Savage.4 foxes for 5 shots

Went out yesterday, rained all bloomin day, got a lull about 16:00, went for a wander knowing full well beasties would be out on the clearfell drying off.

19:10 after watching for 10 minutes one little nobber for the freezer!

The boy were roaring some after it got a bit later.

I quite often go out in the rain for Roe, they dont seem to ind it but the wind is a different story so I stalk the rides where they shelter.

A few years back on a 1500 acre block of wood it was torrential and had been for 3 days.

5 of us were at the ground on the last day. I was the only one to venture out between showers. I got 5 deer in an hour, the others got nowt.

It is all about timing.