Thread: Fac / dsc1

Fac / dsc1

Hi all, obviously very new, been stalking before but accompanied. Want to get setup properly over the next couple of years to be able to go stalking. What's the best process? Do ineed FAC first or will i get the required caliber only after completing DSC1 and aquiring land.
    Basically what do i apply for first and what do i ask for on FAC - reason i want to get the ball rolling is i've heard it can be quite time consuming.
    I know a guy who goes stalking who's struggled to advise me as he goes on land where he's the registered keeper so advised me the laws etc are different.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Hi joe if you havent got your fac! then i would go for this first! do you have any shooting experience? if not get a rimmie first as a start and get confidant with this first, then progress onto a centre fire, i doubt your firearms dept will give you deer straight off any way they will have a mentor condition on it, then buy a couple of stalking books just so you get the very basics of it then this should stand you a better chance of passing your dsc1. give jelen deer services a bell Jelen Deer- Committed to excellence they are very good and well priced too.. best of luck.. stu

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Phone your Local Firearms Dept and ask their advise, don't offer to do things though (like a DSC L1 Cse) just to get your FAC, there is no current requirment to do DSC 1 prior to obtaining a FAC. Some will grant what you wish, others will specify what they will grant on a first application. You need good reason to own a firearm, either ground that you are named on or booked stalking via a keeper/deer manager/estate.

Every area Firearms Dept has their own ideas what is acceptable and the conditions applied, some are reasonable, some are not.

Hope that is of some help?

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Hi Joe, FAC's and your area is pot luck really. Some areas are really tight about what they will let a 'novice' have. DSC1 is not a must when applying. The best thing to do is apply for what you can show good reason for and then take it from there. They issuing force might come back with all kinds of weird and wonderful suggestions and conditions but then you have your starting point.

If you have nowhere to stalk or hunt a way around it is to join you local pistol and rifle club, this will get you started after your probationry period you can apply for your FAC, you will also grow more confident with you rifle the more you use it. Alot of stalkers/vermin shooters are members of clubs so you may pick up some shooting as well. but be careful or you may end up with lots of rifles and pistols before you know it

Gent's, a great help. Thanks all for the info. I used to be in the military and therefore shoot the 5.56 SA80 plus a GPMG but i imagine these are of little use in the Civilian world. I have permission on a substansive bit of land but there's certainly no Deer on it so i'll talk foxes to the FAC's
    Anyway, at least i've got some stuff to go at.