Legal Question

300wsm

I was talking the other day to a follow deer manager who informed me that you must only use a dog on a lead or harness to follow up a wounded deer.

This is the first i have heard of it and personally on the ground I stalk on this would be a waste of time.

He went on to say that his local force would revoke the FAC on anyone running a loose dog whilst following a wounded deer.

Do any of you have any knowledge of this?

Dogs

It sounds like this guy is trying to push his own views on others that might not know any better.

If you are in a field with live stock then you may want to have the dog on a lead but if it is your live stock then that is your call.

Dave

I've certainly not heard of any such requirement and as far as I was aware, the new laws that banned hunting with hounds had specific exceptions for other types of dog work such as this.

This sounds to me that the Police are deliberately taking a restrictive view in that the are lumping deer dogs in with coursing dogs.

I think that provided you could demonstrate you had reasonable cause to think the deer was injured, that you were using no more than two dogs for the follow up and that you could demonstrate you intended or attempted to dispatched the deer ASAP, the Police would not have a leg to stand on in court.

Never heard of that, and it would be a waste of time with any deer dog if you expected it to find a wounded deer, but remain on a lead all the time.

I think the guy you spoke to is smoking something ;) and the law still allows dogs to work except not in packs, the limit is two as far as I am aware. Besides its a stupid law that is unworkable, and any Police force trying to implement this on anyones FA certificate is up for trouble with a capital T.

Deer

Pete has joged the old grey matter. If an animal which is protected from hunting with dogs (all less rabbit and rat) is wounded or it is reasonable to suspect it is wounded you can go after it with up to two dogs. This includes fox or deer.

Dave

300wsm said:
He went on to say that his local force would revoke the FAC on anyone running a loose dog whilst following a wounded deer.

Do any of you have any knowledge of this?

you don't even need a FAC to follow up a wounded or injured deer
just a dog will do
the FAC is needed to cover the shotgun, rifle or pistol used to dispatch the beast, if you don't use a bullet free humane dispatcher
stone

Back