Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which rifle is better.

Which rifle is better.

Hi i currently use a 243 for both deer shooting and foxing mostly for roe deer but i am looking to put a variation on my licence as have got some fallow shooting in suffolk. I was going to go for a 6.5x55 or a 30-06 not sure which one to go for any opinions?

why the variation the 243 will do the job just the same

It`s where you put the bullet that counts.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    It`s where you put the bullet that counts.
    Very true but its fun having another calibre

Atb Steve

Based upon simple logic I would go to the 30-06 just because the 6.5 is 0.264 and so not a lot bigger than your 243 so it might be nice to go for something significantly different.

On the other hand the 6.5 gets a great reputation.

Being sensible I would consider local ammo availability or if you reload then component availability. Buy something that you can get a reliable and consistent local supply of ammo or components as it is practical stuff like this that can make a rifle a real pain, or a pleasure, to live with.

As stated the 243 will do the job on fallow. I cannot see the point in getting a 6.5X55 when you have a 243. I would advise getting a 30.06 if you wish to increase your armoury, I prefer a 30.06 on fallow to a 243 as it is a slower round. I have had one for over 20 years; it will also cope with Reds and Boar. I was told and it appears correct that the 30.06 is the most common calibre in the world and if a broad you can get ammunition at most gun shops. The first thing I shot with a 30.06 was a fox, used a 220grn round nose. I was after boar in Checz. Very humane.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    On the other hand the 6.5 gets a great reputation.
    For dropping like a grannies tits?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I've shot fallow with .243 and .308 and there's no question that the .30 is better at knocking them over. Like above the 30-06 is ideal for the piggies if you can get into Europe for a play.

Basil is right its not the calibre that counts as much as the calibre of the person behind it !

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    For dropping like a grannies tits?
    ouch... that's a bit harsh, a bit like my .308 on rabbits