S&b 8x56 Hungarian

Harry mac

I bought one of these scopes to go on my 243 about 18 months ago, and by and large find it a good scope. The build quality is certainly superb. But (there's always a but), there's one thing about it that niggles me. At ranges below about 50 metres I can't get both the reticle and the sight picture in focus at the same time, one or the other is always slightly blurred so I have to go for the compromise of having a focused picture with a slightly fuzzy reticle, using my eye muscles to focus the reticle as best I can.
The questions I have are:-
Do I have a problem with the scope?
Do I have a problem with my eyes?
Do I not have a problem, the 8x56 just wasn't designed to give optimum performance at such short range?
It's annoying really because my old Tasco Titan 3-12x52 will focus at shorter range than the Schmidt, even set on 8x mag.
I wonder if there are others out there with the same problems and questions who don't want to admit that they've spent more than half a grand on a scope they aren't entirely happy with?

Last edited:
I use the same scope harry without problems like that. I have the German 4A reticule (I think) Three posts and fine centre.
The scope is mounted on a 223 that gets used lamping and for Roe. Cannot honestly think that i have ever noticed blurring at all.
I tend to think the scope needs checked.
I would not have a fixed mag again purely from flexibility issues. The ability to crank up the mag for longer shots is surely in keeping with the accuracy obtained with modern rifles.
That said the S&B 8x56 is a really fine scope and stands the in and out of vehicle type work with no fuss whatsoever.
Be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers

i have the same scope and have no problems !

the only time ive had lack of clarity with the scope was las sunday when i missed a fox cub at 10yds because all i could see was a big ball of ginger fuzz :doh:

The problem may be your eyes Harry .................................................................. sorry but not every ones are the same and as I aged I noticed that some scopes I had been using for years were becoming harder to use. That's why I sold the old moving reticle 3-7x36 Pecar's as I was struggling with them. The newer Champion's are fine though. I also find that I have to re-focus my binos more as my eyes seem alter depending how tired I am and possible how high low sugar level is. I can all effect the eyes as we age.................................................. :(

i have the same scope and have no problems !

the only time ive had lack of clarity with the scope was las sunday when i missed a fox cub at 10yds because all i could see was a big ball of ginger fuzz :doh:

That's the time to ignore the scope and aim down the side of the barrel ;)

Concensus seems to be it's me then. I was going to get my eyes checked soon anyway, as I've just had to switch from iron sights to SUSAT at work. I've been finding it increasingly difficult to focus on the foresight over the last 6 months or so on the SA80. I don't notice the problem at all with any of my 303s though, probably because the fore sight is further away from my eye.
Note to self: Shoulda gone to Specsavers:doh:

Back