30-06 with N140

garyb

Guys,

Anyone with a Viht manual, or quickload please

30-06Spring
165grn Hornady SST
Viht N140

Just need to know start and max charge ta!

from latest data start is 44.5 and max is 50.1 (also listed as most accurate)

However N140 is not the best choice for this bullet/caliber combo, you would be much better off going to a slower powder such as N160 or RL 22, better filling density and more velocity

Dan is that also based on a 167 ?

I know N140 isn't great... but it wasn't my choice :)

Guys,

Anyone with a Viht manual, or quickload please

30-06Spring
165grn Hornady SST
Viht N140

Just need to know start and max charge ta!
viht quote 45.5start 50.1 max for 167 scenar.IMHO:eek: powder will not give you the best accuracy. N160 or N165 would be a better option.

+ one for N160, have not loaded any 165 grn yet but 56 grns of 160 works well with 180 grn heads.
Tusker

I am using 165 Game King Driven by 51.9 grains of 140 and I am getting 6 rounds sub inch. that was two groups. I shot one group removed scope and barrel then replaced then shot to the same POA and still came away sub inch so cant grumble realy.

Dave

Yeh if you go off of the vit web site you mightt think it is a little hot but there are no presure signs other reloading manuals say it is a middle of the road load. All dependant on rifle and I am sure alitttle bit of litigation culture involved in some of the recomendations. If you are unsure start 10% below and work up. To be honest the push in the shoulder is not as much as some factory 165s I have shot. I have not got round to puting it through a chrono yet but I recon they should be running at 2730ish through my 24 inch barrel.

Dave

Back