New rifle, but needs bedding

callie

I bought a new rifle through my local RFD from sportsman dorchester (never again), the rifle is a Vanguard synthetic, when the rifle arrived it had a wood stock, I told RFD that it was the wrong stock and he told me that it was the right one so I took it home, on Tuesday I had a phone call from the RFD to say that it was wrong and that the rifle in my posession (sporter/hunter) was £200 dearer what did I want to do, to swap the rifle was going to be a pain in the arse, it meant applying for another variation, another £26 and weeks of waiting, so I asked him if he could swap stocks, yes, that was OK.

So now I have the rifle, stock and all. This is where my problem comes, the vanguard has a bedded action and a floated barrel, mine hasn't so I now have to float the barrel and bed the stock/action, I have two part epoxy resin so what I need now is to know how much clearance/float is required between barrel and stock, cheers fellas.......callie

..... Tuesday I had a phone call from the RFD to say that it was wrong and that the rifle in my posession (sporter/hunter) was £200 dearer what did I want to do.....

I would have told him it was his/sportsman's mistake and they could fe#k off.

So now you have a rifle with a poorly fitted stock which is not as described? And you are going to try and fix it yourself and void any warranty you might still have on a shitty deal?

just about to do a deal with sportsmans dorset ,sending my trade in rifle via my local rfd ,what do i need to be aware of ? dealing with rob at dorset seemed an ok guy

Well for one thing I would not deal with the Sportsman......................... been there done that got the T-Shirt. Luckily not over a gun.

I bought a new rifle through my local RFD from sportsman dorchester (never again), the rifle is a Vanguard synthetic, when the rifle arrived it had a wood stock, I told RFD that it was the wrong stock and he told me that it was the right one so I took it home, on Tuesday I had a phone call from the RFD to say that it was wrong and that the rifle in my posession (sporter/hunter) was £200 dearer what did I want to do, to swap the rifle was going to be a pain in the arse, it meant applying for another variation, another £26 and weeks of waiting, so I asked him if he could swap stocks, yes, that was OK.

So now I have the rifle, stock and all. This is where my problem comes, the vanguard has a bedded action and a floated barrel, mine hasn't so I now have to float the barrel and bed the stock/action, I have two part epoxy resin so what I need now is to know how much clearance/float is required between barrel and stock, cheers fellas.......callie

Sorry to hear this...just out of interest why would you need to get a variation...surely they didn't give you the wrong calibre rifle as well as the wrong stock? If so they need stringing up.

Sorry to hear this...just out of interest why would you need to get a variation...surely they didn't give you the wrong calibre rifle as well as the wrong stock? If so they need stringing up.

No, you're right, it wouldn't have cost me as it would have been a one-for-one variation but would probably take about 3 months, Staffs are really behind on renewals and variations.

send it back and get what you ordered and paid for rest is ******** IMHO.

bedding and floating is not a big deal, you might as well get pillars as well and do it right while you are there but you are then drilling out your brand new stock!!!!

use the tinternet and you tube for tutorials, http://www.scorehi.com/

I run some tape round the barrell at the end of the stock and just before the action until you get the desired clearance even and leave it in place until the bedding process is complete. 1/8 th inch seems to be the accepted clearance in old money (3mm in decimal) but it is not a big deal as long as it clears the stock evenly.

good luck

I would be sending it back pronto, your say'n you just bought a new rifle which was the wrong one through no fault of your own.

Your now changing stocks and going to bed the action. Which in turn is going to VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!! WAKE UP!!! :doh:

Surely if you get onto your local Licencing Branch and explained the situation (once again through no fault of your own.)

they could'nt help sort it out ASAP!!!!

Best of luck which ever way you go.

Rgds, Buck.

Hi 308boy, it's a long story and an even longer wait, all in all, taking waiting time from firearms admin and sportsman it's almost 8months and I was getting a bit p1ssed off with it, as I said the gun had already been registered to me which meant that I would've to apply for another variation if I sent it back, there's no pillars, just a square hole that a block under the barrel sits in and and is threaded for the front fixing bolt, that's where the epoxy resin has to go, at present the barrel/action sits tight into the stock, it's just that I didn't know how much clearance was required, I have no doubt about my ability to do it and I only want to do it once and get it right first time. Many thanks for explaining the process to me, cheers....callie

Good old Sportsman, they'll always tell you it's in stock, what they forget to tell you is that's it in their suppliers stock, not their own!:banghead:

No, you're right, it wouldn't have cost me as it would have been a one-for-one variation but would probably take about 3 months, Staffs are really behind on renewals and variations.

Sorry if I'm being really dumb or just missing something here. Why a variation ? If its the same cal but different rifle and he has the same cal to give you, surely its a straight swap ie heputs the one you have back on his RFD licence and then gives you the other and you add that to your blank slot?

Sorry if I'm being really dumb or just missing something here. Why a variation ? If its the same cal but different rifle and he has the same cal to give you, surely its a straight swap ie heputs the one you have back on his RFD licence and then gives you the other and you add that to your blank slot?

I accepted the rifle , it went on to my fac, they phoned to say that it was the wrong rifle, I take rifle back, I now need a variation to change rifle, simpler to hold onto barrel and action and swap butts, a pain in the arse I know but better than waiting another 3 months or so. Most RFDs these days use electronic mail to send details of sales of firearms to firearms admin, so the same day you buy a firearm the police have your details hence the need for a variation, even on a one for one basis.

well i am dealing with the dorset branch guy called rob seems to know his stuff and one end of a deer to another ,my steyr 243 went via my rfd today ,no nasty comments about steyr please i like em and remy for that matter :Dand fingers crossed i should receive back a steyr 6.5x55 once the various paper work /fac is sorted .if it dont work out and i get shafted i will tell the whole WORLD :lol:

Nothing changes with Sportsman then!

We're talking more than 15 years ago now........ having rung and been told a particular rifle and stock combination was in store, I drove across country for hours to go and collect (Petrol was cheaper then!!) Only to get there and find it wasn't!!

No apologies, what a bunch of *******! And never again will they have any chance of seeing any of my money going their way..... and having worked it out for the insurance it appears to be quite lot!!

Grrr! Still makes me mad!:evil::banghead:Us elephants have long memories!!

Last edited:
well i am dealing with the dorset branch guy called rob seems to know his stuff and one end of a deer to another ,my steyr 243 went via my rfd today ,no nasty comments about steyr please i like em and remy for that matter :Dand fingers crossed i should receive back a steyr 6.5x55 once the various paper work /fac is sorted .if it dont work out and i get shafted i will tell the whole WORLD :lol:

You won't hear anything bad from me about the Steyr. I've got a 6.5 x 55 Steyr Pro H and love it. Yes when I get around to it ill prob have a custom stock made to compliment the rest of the rifle which is stunning. The plasric stock aint the best(it is a bit floppy, MK 1 version) but I've never had a flyer and it fits very comfortably. I guess the difference is I paid £450 for a nearly new one with TX8 mod hard case and Warne rings including RFD costs. Couldn't leave it there at that price and was worth the punt. I actually phoned the lad up when I received it asking him he wanted any more cash I felt that bad. He was giving up shooting and licence expired the following week. Oh I've also got a Remmy :)

Were you happy with the rifle/stock supplied to you in the first place?

If so, I would have insisted they give it to you at the lower price. You already had it in your possession. The mistake was theirs. They could take it in the name of customer service.

No way you should have to put up with this ****.

Back