Why is the .243 so popular?

njc110381

I've been reading the forums a lot recently and it seems that the .243 camp has a lot of members! And when a newbie comes along looking for a Deer rifle, they always ask .243 or .308?

The more I read, the more I wonder why? Yes it will work, but it's hardly perfect. It is just about legal energy wise and when shooting 100gr bullets in Scotland it's right at the limit of it's bullet weight unless you have a fast twist barrel. Quite often people find the accuracy drops off at 100 grains and prefer to go slightly lighter down south where they can.

When you look at it that way, why do so many people support it? Why not use something bigger? .25-06 is fast, flat and throws more weight comfortably although it is a bit harsh. 6.5x55 or .260 are mild rounds which again handle the weight better but don't knock your shoulder for it. Then there's 7x57 or 7-08 which is going a bit on the large side if the gun is to be used for Foxing but is otherwise still good.

I guess I just don't get why people love it so much? What good points does it have that aren't covered by slightly bigger rounds? Trajectory is an issue I suppose, but not in every day Deer stalking. Shots are most often taken at about 100 yards and between that and 200, there ain't much in it no matter what calibre you use.

First of all I have to agree with you about all these magical "flat shooting" rounds we hear about - at most realistic UK deer stalking ranges most common deer legal cartridges shoot within the width of the crosshairs on my scope of each other. Knowing your drop and drift is more important than thinking you don't need to know your drop and drift.

I guess that with 243 being the minimum that is legal for all deer in the UK many view it as very much a good place to start. I would also imagine that the fact that some forces might allow fox on a 243 will also be a factor. It is also true that the 243 will kill most UK deer pretty well, though I personally prefer as big a hole as possible, and that recoil is moderate. It is also always good to have a commonly used cartridge as getting components and ammo will be easier. It is likely that many people who shoot deer only have regular access to the smaller species and in view of the police propaganda about "overkill" this may also have an impact upon choice.

I happen to shoot a 308 and subscribe to the "big hole" physical reality of killing deer in a sporting manner but I think the 243 has a lot to recommend it and I'm also a big fan of free choice. I shot my first ever deer with a 243 and all those since have been with a 308, like you I don't quite understand the attachment to the 243 but it does the job, it's legal, it is designed as a vermin cartridge so is well suited to that role as well, some people might shoot it better and luckily we still have the choice so it is all good.

Let's face it the Police love the word minimum and more often than not steer new applicants that way regards how suitable it is or not. if the minimum was .22 L/R then that's what they would be pushing on folks.

As brit hunter said min cal Police will like first time aplicants to start with.
Firearm dealers/shops will have various .243 rifles and amunition in stock ,because of its popularity.
I know there are other calibre's for deer used and preferred ,but there is nothing wrong with .243,with 55g bullets you have excellent fox tool and 100g for deer ,and as said does the job.

i think it is ingrained in us about the min too i remember thinking a 243 would be all i ever wanted untill i actually found it lacked in certain areas for me ,thats me folks !! not everyone .with 100 grain ammo for munty and roe and more often fallow i tended to drill a hole staight through the beast only for it to bugger off and leave me up a seat wondering should i stay or should i go now ......to look .with charlie much the same really thought i had missed so many times only to find the fox a day or two later when it started stinking ,changed down to 55 gr and 80 but then i have a 22.250. pretty sure at the time the fuzz wouldnt have let me have had a 308 .the 243 finally went yesterday for new pastures and i am going to try a 6.5 .so i have a 22.250 ,6.5x55,and my favorite the 308 .incidently the rfd said he had 243's coming out the gunroom so perhaps the fuzz are letting folks go a little bigger as a start these days ,what do you think ?

Somehow it seems that for many the first priority is to have a low recoiling rifle.
Other countries don't allow 243 for deer for a reason. I think you just have to
adapt your hunting style to the weapon at hand. Overall the 308 is better and
a proper deer calibre.
edi

I have just got one and the FLO imposed restrictions had nothing to do with it.
Without the moderator I actually found the recoil to be a lot higher than expected, especially with 100gn bullets.

In my mind it is a classic calibre and partners very well with my 270. I now have two rifles that are legal for everything from fox (and any stupid hoody crow that comes within 300yds of me whilst out!) to a 24st Red stag

I went for wanted something fast, flat and with a short action cartridge. I have a long action already and by choosing a short action for the second CF there is zero chance of a cartridge choice error.
It also give me a bullet choice that barely overlaps my existing rifle (although I did just buy some nutty 90gn HP for the 270 for a laugh!)

HUH ....................... bewsher ..................... hate to point this out but the P-H 1100 is a std Mauser length action and not a short one ;)

HUH ....................... bewsher ..................... hate to point this out but the P-H 1100 is a std Mauser length action and not a short one ;)

Which is exactly why I wouldn't want one as a gift. Horrible, sloppy old things.
There are lots of 243s on the correct length action for sensible money.

Min cal and people are frightend of the cops for some reason they think they will say yes to a .243 and no to anything bigger. All this is the land passed for a certain calibre what a load of cock.

243 is popular the world over because its an easy shooting accurate calibre and gets the job done. Yes it's on the light side, but it is on the right side of light, and every year many big red deer, elk, boar, plains game etc are taken with it around the world.

The same can be said for the 375h&h and big game - yes it's small when compared to 470 etc but it still does the job.

Well, let's not forget that the 243 is a cross-over cartridge: good enough deer but light enough to varmint with. Additionally, in the right rifle, it was once considered a target round for BR shooting. I miss mine sometimes....:((My oldest daughter laid claim to it! :D )~ Muir

One word for me; versatility. More than capable for all uk deer (tho' I prefer to use 7x57 for red stags) and a great round for foxes. I reach for my .243 more than any of my other rifles.

Frank

I think there are a number of reasons,

1. Yes it is the minimum widely available calibre for shooting large deer, but remember while it is the minimum in law when the deer act was brought in they erred a bit on the side of deer welfare, a 22-250 was considered a great calibre for red hinds on the hill at that time.
  2. It is a devastating calibre for foxes with a 58gn bullet, while ideal IMO for roe, fallow does, red calves, and more than adequate for hinds. It is only starting to be found on the small side once you start shooting stags, and while a lot of people talk about shooting big stags the reality is most do not have the pockets that are deep enough or the contacts/availability of big stags.
  3. I personally started to use one because the ground I had was primarily roe ground with the odd sika, the thought was that with a 100gn bullet if I came across a sika then I was legal while I was not over gunned for the roe which I shot 25 for every sika.
  4. Before the common use of moderators a 243 was the largest calibre I could shot with a properly fitting stock and still see the bullet strike on the animal.
  5. Do not under estimate the round it is more than adequate for 95% of the deer shot in this country, only on big stags will you want something bigger IMO. If you are have trouble killing does/hinds the calibre of the gun might not be your problem. Dispite having bigger calibre rifles I still shoot more deer with the 243 than any other rifle.

ATB

Tahr

I am not knocking the larger calibres as i have one, but I could not agree with Thar more on this matter, the .243 is a very good round, I have shot all British deer species with mine except CWD, both males and female from hill to heavy forest beasts, and I have never found the round wanting. I have a .308 which hardly ever get any use, I bought it because I thought like everyone else the 243 would not be able to take bigger fallow bucks and red stags, I was wrong, if bullet placement is correct and within normal stalking distances then I have never not seen a deer expire within a reasonable distance of the bullet contact. I have great confidence in my 243 and will not be changing it in a hurry.

If I lived in England and was shooting Roe, Munty's etc plus foxes, I would certainly have a 243 for this job. It is reasonably good on Fallow does, prickets etc. However, once you get to bigger fallow, and particularly Sika, it is lacking in "power" to my mind.

I have seen guys get into real trouble with the 243 on Sika in particular.

I thought that .240 was min caliber! Really is a load of old tosh on here some days.
Only ever had two rifles in twenty years both .243 and only thing I have not shot is Red and CWD. You could get a runner with any cal lets face it.

It is said that .234 is to light for Sika it maybe I don't have any, certainly to light for Boar never shot them and no great wish to.

I have spent my working life as a stalker on Red and Roe have used most calibres at one time or another .243 is still my all time favourite have killed thousands of Red deer including some really big Stags and have never found the .243 to be at a disadvantage, the only time that I found a a bigger calibre to be an advantage was in culling big woodland stags, whilst they were just as dead with my .243 they sometimes ran a bit further than they might have with a larger calibre, and when in heavy cover this can be a disadvantage.

Rifle calibres like many other things in life go in and out of fashion, .243 is not as popular as it was a few years
thirty years ago it was the most popular calibre amongst professional highland stalkers

Will I be changing it any time soon for one of the latest all singing all dancing calibres, not a chance!:old:

Have said it many times before and have had no reason to change my view, the .243 is the perfect newbie rifle calibre. It can do pretty much that is asked of it in the UK, the police are comfortable with it and the most impotant thing is that you can buy it anywhere and bang away at reasonable cost and get comfortable and competant with your equipment. I watch these threads with people recommending a calibre that requires handloading or is only available in two bullet weights and wonder how much damage that advice will cause. Its ok giving advice having shot rifles of multiple calibres for years as many have, but it is imporant that new stalkers actually go through the same experience and learn from it.

Back