butchers hanging deer

ksb

just wondering what the legal implications are for a local butcher to hang a skinned deer in their chiller for a customer. i know that before they can sell meat it must have a valid stamp but if it is only for use of their chiller how would the butcher be effected if they got a visit

keith

If it is to be stored with other meat for consumption it must be inspected and stamped with a health stamp. If the butcher has a separate room then it could go in there.

You cannot mix carcasses in fur/feather with other butchery commodities,haunches,saddles and other primary cuts can be stored but separation is desirable if only to avoid any game taint to adjacent meat...Anton

just wondering what the legal implications are for a local butcher to hang a skinned deer in their chiller for a customer. i know that before they can sell meat it must have a valid stamp but if it is only for use of their chiller how would the butcher be effected if they got a visit

keith

You'll require to look at the local regulations to your area, people on the site from ,Scotland, England ,Wales and Ni, all have varying differences in the regulations therefore will not be able to reply to your above posting.

You should ask at your local environmental or health and hygiene department of the local authority they will give you all the answers required .

If it is to be stored with other meat for consumption it must be inspected and stamped with a health stamp. If the butcher has a separate room then it could go in there.

This is not a requirement in Scotland IF the stalker has a level 1 trained hunter part or the lantra meat hygiene certificate, if you follow the game handling regulations you'll see you can as a stalker put 300 deer carcasses into a butcher or the system without any problems.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/foodlaw/pdf/uk-05048-wild-game-guidance.pdf

Last edited:
This is not a requirement in Scotland IF the stalker has a level 1 trained hunter part or the lantra meat hygiene certificate, if you follow the game handling regulations you'll see you can as a stalker put 300 deer carcasses into a butcher or the system without any problems.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/foodlaw/pdf/uk-05048-wild-game-guidance.pdf

I would be a little bit careful on that one in Scotland your butcher would also have to be a registered venison dealer.
at the present time in Scotland all venison must pass through a venison dealer unlike England we may not sell anyone other than a registered dealer even if you have your large game handling ticket

Absolutely, remiss of me not to give all of the information , SNH will issue a book for the returns of venison through the retail outlet, which has carbon pages for copies to be sent back to SNH every year, the licence lasts for 3 years .which is issued by the local authority.

Last edited:
Back