308 Loads with N140

dieseldan

anyone got load data on 308 winchester bangin out 150gn heads??

I use this powder in my 22-250 and with 125gn Noslers.

This time it is Remington Mag Primer, 45gn VV140 and 150gn Speer SPBT (2022).

does not group worth a f**k

I will go to the max with 46.5 gns and work my way down , but was hoping for some enlightenment.

My rifle is 1-10 twist and tends to like higher velocity loads.

Interested to hear where you got the load from ,loads change over time for various reasons.

In my old Speer reloading manual No. 12 they do not give a load fo rViht 140 only Viht 135 for .308 and the 2202.

Serria Infinity 5th edition suggest Viht 140 starting at 39.9 grains, 41.5grains, 43.1grains and 44.7grains max to give respective speeds of 2500fps, 2600fps, 2700fps and 2800fps. This from a 22" barrel with a 1in 10" twist. However different rifles respond differently to different cartridges and small variations can make largs differences to accuracy.

I do not know how much experience you have in reloading but even if you are familiar with the following points it may guide others who aren't.

To be safe I would strongly suggest that:-

you do not exceed these loadings

You should not use magnum primers unless specifically stated in the loading table

You start at the lowest load and work upwards checking for pressure signs

Even if no pressure signs do not exceed the maximum load.

Do not crimp the bullet unless the bullet has a cannelure, the 2202 does not and this can open the pattern or grouping by up to 40%

In .308 do not crimp the bullet even if it does have a cannelure unless using a tubular magazine.

You can do all these things if you wish but most folk only have one set of hands and eyes and want to live to a ripe old age with them intact!

Serria reccommend that their "accuracy" load is 43 .1 grains Vhit 140 giving 2700fps and 2428ft lbs energy whilst their "hunting" load is using IMR 3031 powder 43.8 grains giving 2900fps and 2801ft lbs energy.

Hope this is of assistance

Stay lucky

Bob

44gn n140 with speer 2023 and/or sierra 2125. both 150gn. shoots sub 1" from my r93. 70mm col. cci 200 primer.

the speer 2023's were made for me by a member of the british match rifle team, its his pet load for any .308 stalking rifle (apparently :rolleyes: ). they were made with a batch of mixed, many times fired brass.

load was not developed, or worked up for my rifle, just made it and put it to work.

i'm now liking 125gn ballistic tips over 48.5gn (but i've got six in the box with 49gn just to try :evil: )

good luck

I use 43.5 gr of N140 behind 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and CCI primers. It groups well and I've stuck with it for the last couple of years. I have lent out my VV reloading guide but if I can get hold of it I'll try to pick out the pages.

willie_gunn

I use 43.5 gr of N140 behind 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and CCI primers. It groups well and I've stuck with it for the last couple of years. I have lent out my VV reloading guide but if I can get hold of it I'll try to pick out the pages.

willie_gunn

1 in 10 twist might not want it so fast, 44gr N140 seems a magic number nice mild load with 150 - 155gr. Try at saami length.
edi

Feedback

Thanks for the feedback,

I have the speer reloading manual and the VV PDF stuff as well as other books,

I know there is not "load " in the books, but there is for the speer 2025 which is a very similar bullet withe the same BC,

any way I will load 44GN and work lower not higher.

on the primers, I find the Magnum ones work better than the CCI ones, but i will make afew and do some more target work,

thanks again

bucksden said:
i'm now liking 125gn ballistic tips over 48.5gn (

took a young vixen with one of these last night, amazing damage! different than i expected. hit her at 180m head on, 10mm under the left eye - small entry hole.both eyes popped out, jaw dislocated, neck smashed to pieces, bullet probably somewhere in the body, but no exit wound or marks anywhere whatsoever :confused:

snowstorm said:
Ooof. Don't want to see a picture of that :!:

dont have one!

she didnt look that bad, my .243 does so much more damage.

just goes to show how unpredictable these polycarbonate tipped, non-bonded bullets are :eek:

n140 in 308

after a lot of messing about , i have a load not N140 however

(but think that N140 and Varget are very similar, just got frustrated and loaded 125gn Noslers with the rest).

I am using 47 gns of varget speer 2022 and remmy mag primer.

The case i quite full and the group is under 1 " in poor weather conditions @100m

i can still replicate this with Federal Powershok softpoints but they are getting expensive.

My current load is 165 sierra 2140 with 44.5 grs N140 very consistent for me. Hot day and longish strings show this is near the top, otherwise fine.
Others,
150 nosler bts with 46 grs n140
2125 sierras with 44 grs nice mild load max'ing out around 46 grs.

Interested to hear where you got the load from ,loads change over time for various reasons.

In my old Speer reloading manual No. 12 they do not give a load fo rViht 140 only Viht 135 for .308 and the 2202.

Serria Infinity 5th edition suggest Viht 140 starting at 39.9 grains, 41.5grains, 43.1grains and 44.7grains max to give respective speeds of 2500fps, 2600fps, 2700fps and 2800fps. This from a 22" barrel with a 1in 10" twist. However different rifles respond differently to different cartridges and small variations can make largs differences to accuracy.

I do not know how much experience you have in reloading but even if you are familiar with the following points it may guide others who aren't.

To be safe I would strongly suggest that:-

you do not exceed these loadings

You should not use magnum primers unless specifically stated in the loading table

You start at the lowest load and work upwards checking for pressure signs

Even if no pressure signs do not exceed the maximum load.

Do not crimp the bullet unless the bullet has a cannelure, the 2202 does not and this can open the pattern or grouping by up to 40%

In .308 do not crimp the bullet even if it does have a cannelure unless using a tubular magazine.

You can do all these things if you wish but most folk only have one set of hands and eyes and want to live to a ripe old age with them intact!

Serria reccommend that their "accuracy" load is 43 .1 grains Vhit 140 giving 2700fps and 2428ft lbs energy whilst their "hunting" load is using IMR 3031 powder 43.8 grains giving 2900fps and 2801ft lbs energy.

Hope this is of assistance

Stay lucky

Bob

Bob,
I was 100% behind you til I got to this line. I have never experienced 40% increase in group size when a load is properly crimped with a Lee Factory Die. Properly crimped means that the cases are all the same length and the crimp is not excessive. Like seating depth adjustment, the degree of crimp must be adjusted.

The "built in" crimp found in some commercial seating dies is to be avoided like the plague. This mashing crimp will destroy accuracy.~Muir

Depending on length 45gr is a fairly warm load and I am curious why you are using magnum primers.
Trying toning it down a bit and normal or br primers. I get good results from 42-44gr of N140 with 150-155gr bullets loaded to max magazine length.

Back