Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new ground at last

new ground at last

After looking for some stalking for a while without any success i posted an ad on this site in jan.Short time later i got a pm from a sd member indicating that there might be a space in his syndicate in july and he would let me know nearer the time.In the meantime had a look at some bits in dumfries area but but after talking to sd member my heart was set on that.True to his word i was invited to meet him and he showed me his wee bit off paradise as he described it.Hey he was right it is a cracking bit of ground consisting of a 4000 acres L shaped forest at the base of a hill/mountain ,on one side it is 7 miles long and roughly several hundred yards wide with gaps and clearfell ,with two roads running parallel the full length ,which means if you shoot anything you drag down to the road.The other side is about 3 miles long with a road up though it and same again on the side of the hill.Thats not all ,wee also have the hill/mountain which is about 10000 acres and this is where you need a quad.

First day on the ground wee walked the edge of the forest/hill and after 30 mins the dog indicated that there was something up the way, we glassed about and could not see anything so carried on but the dog was indicating very strongly so decided to follow the dogs instinct and headed up the hill and away from the trees.After about 300 yds in stalking mode wee stopped ,there was a small hill 40 yds in front of us and the dog almost shaking with excitement but still nothing.So decided to put rifle on sticks and wait as wee could not see whats behind,a minute later i spotted one point then another coming over the horizon before wee knew i counted 12 points ,bloody hell i thought a royal stag on our first outing,even though there was plenty backstop he was still in velvet so decided to leave him(for now).

Was more pleased for the dogs progress as this is his first season stalking after spending his first year on my pheasant syndicate.He has since took me into several dear and is showing great promise for he wont be 2years till oct.

We ended up not shooting anything that day although we saw at least 30 deer.Have been up another twice since and seen plenty of deer with the help of the dog,even managed to grass a nice stag much to the pleasure of the dog.

Can i just say a big thanks to sd forum and a special thanks to one of your members for sharing his piece of paradise with me.

ps. will post some pics from phone once i find cable
    Last edited by sakoson; 02-08-2011 at 23:52. Reason: photos

I am very pleased for you Jim hope it all goes well.

Sounds a super bit of ground Sakoson. ATB 1995rs

You lucky lucky man. Very well done and I hope you get fantastic enjoyment from the privilege of stalking such fantastic ground. Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Very well done Sakoson, sounds like heaven !!!

Me? Jealous? What makes you think that?

Seriously though, pleased for you, sounds like a brilliant opportunity. Good luck with it.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Thanks guys for your comments,been up 3 times and seen well over a 100 reds but still not seen any sika yet ,can't wait till the rut starts.

Nice bit of ground James hope you shoot plenty off it. It took you a while to get but looks well worth the wait.
    As I get older I have realised that I cannot please everyone. But I find I can easy piss every one off.

Sounds and looks like a great bit of ground, congrats!

Looking forward to your future pics!

My Hunting Blog: click here

Looks a cracking piece of ground fella well done.