BRNO ZKK 601 Zero Problem

stevefranks

I am having trouble zeroing my 1967 BRNO 308. I have tried Sako FMJ rounds with some success, and Sako softpoint 180gr with random results. Pretty much the rifle zeroed with the fmj, fired randomly within a 6 inch circle with the SP and when I went back to the fmj the results were nearly as bad as the SP. This was over the course of about 2 hours.

I will try the mount screws for tightness and other screws on the rifle as it has recently been screwcut for an ATech moderator which would involve I suppose stripping the rifle down.

If anyone has experience of this rifle could they suggest ammunition that is suitable as at £35 a box(ish) I cant afford to go through every brand!

Many thanks

Stephen

did i shoot ok before being Screw cut ??????? after checking ALL screw's etc are tight shoot it without the Mod also check with who done the screw cutting it was recrowned. I had a right Mair with a rifle of mine till Dennis Groomes (from this site) sorted the thread and Crown out.

My friend did suggest doing this next time.. Unfortunately I did not shoot the rifle prior to screwcutting as my FAC hadn't come through so I could not take delivery from RFD.

As per PM....................... first clean the bore back to bare metal then do our testing.. It's possible that there is a build up of carbon and copper fouling which is effecting the rifles performance. Also try some 150 grain or 165 grain ammunition as my own ZKK 601 in .308 Winchester does not seem to like many 180 grain loads. As the rifle has been apart you also need to check it's been seated back into the bedding correctly and the screws tightened correctly...................... back to basics and work through it step by step.

Stephen

A couple of thoughts. Try RWS ammunition. Secondly, although the focus is rightly on the work that's just been done, are the scope and mounts proven?

Good luck. JCS

Have had 1x ZKK 601 in 243 and 2x ZKK 600 in 270.

I found that the gun likes ALL the screws done up tight and in the case of one with a forend screw going into the barrel that done up tight also.

None of my rifles were screw cut.

With one of the ZKK 600 rifles in 270 I shot poor groups with the 'scope sight fitted. Yet all the screws were done up tight. This was one of the original Zeiss-Jena on the bespoke BRNO mounts.

So in desperation took them off and shot a group with the iron sights.

Three rounds, touching, at a true 100 yards with the rifle shot from sandbags!

Changed the 'scope sight for another Zeiss-Jena and the problem was gone. The reticule inside the originally fitted 'scope was moving ever so slightly under recoil from shot to shot.

However as others say I would after checking screws check to see if the muzzle crown is OK.

Hi everyone,

Just been to my RFD and bought some 009 & Forrest Foam. Will try this as well as tighten up all screws. My scope is a Swarovski Habicht 6 x 42, though old still has a lifetime guarantee? Maybe if all else fails I can see if Swarovski will check out the scope.

Hi steve, did you try it without the atec . screw it off and see what your groups are like then..never worry about zero just see if it puts them all in the same place. atec mods are mounted on the very end of the barrel and if the thread is of even a very small amount it can clip the sides on the way out . I have had this problem with a factory threaded barrel on a brand new rifle, shoots fine without a mod and shoots fine with a wildcat which comes down over the barrel to keep it in line..

Hi McStalk, I hope it isn't the moderator/screwcutting as it took quite a long time to get it done and probably the same to get it rectified if this is the problem!!

PM me if you wish as i noted "near cambridge" i am NO RIFLE SMITH But as we might be fairly close i would be more than willing to have a look for you???????

hi I had the same with my 308 I had parker hale mounts and ended up with shims under it worked but one piece mounts is the best thing I found

Sadly the quality of some P-H rings suffered during the take over periods and the uncertain conditions as to if the staff would still ahve jobs. I can see how it would make one less inclined to do the usual standard of work under that hanging over ones head. I acquired a 1100 Deluxe with p-H mounts and the bases were off so I swopped the mounts.

Doh!

I just went to clean my rifle prior to going to range and the tetra brush I bought does not fit my rod as it is a shotgun one (and does not fit in the rifle of course!)

I bought a boresnake along with the 009 and Forrest foam, so used this temporarily (it has a brush built in)

I also tried the scope mount screws, the back two were loose ie you could tighten them about 3 turn, whereas the front ones wouldn't move.

The rifle screws were all tight apart from the one into the forend which turned quite a bit.

I realise the cleaning isn't up to scratch but I am waiting for the right kit to arrive.

I will update tomorrow on how it shot with the new ammo.

I am at the end of my tether!

1) I have cleaned the rifle
2) Tried with mod on and off - no difference
3) Tried 2 new bullet types (Norma & Remington) - same problems

The rifle groups with fmj. Ocassionally it would group with the expanding, but then revert to flyers etc. It would group 3 and after cooling would then be all over the place within a 6 inch circle with the next 3 bullets. The rifle was allowed to cool after 3 shots, never shot hot.

I tightened all of the screws on the rifle and mounts and now have the following options to explore:

1) New mounts
2) Send scope to Swarovski for investigation
3) Have barrel recrowned
4) Have FLO destroy the rifle

I have shot over 100 rounds trying to get the rifle to zero which is expensive, and I don't know whether to contact the rfd who sold the rifle, the rfd that had the screwcutting and crown done or just get it sorted off my own back.

I suppose what I would really like to do is send it to a gunsmith who has testing facilities to work it out and send the rifle back zeroed. Can anyone suggest somebody?

Stephen

hi stephen

i have got a zkk600 in .270 which i am more than happy with!
it normally sports a t8 mod up front and with it being quite long barrel,ed when carrying it on a sling has a habit of slideing round on the shoulder and faceing backwards not ideal.
and if you carry it muzzle down its to close to the ground!
so thought i would take it off for a while,now with the mod on we can do clover leafs at 100yds ish with home loads.
with out the mod on well the grouping looked more like the pattern of a" tom cat spraying up your garden gate",
after about 10 shots done a self anallasis what i was doing was anticipating the recoil and thus snatching the trigger and throwing the shots every were.
my sollution was to totally engrain squeezing the trigger and not worry about the grouping.
and after that things got better!!
not suggesting your the cause for one minute but could be food for thought ever with a mod on.

I am at the end of my tether!

1) I have cleaned the rifle
2) Tried with mod on and off - no difference
3) Tried 2 new bullet types (Norma & Remington) - same problems

The rifle groups with fmj. Ocassionally it would group with the expanding, but then revert to flyers etc. It would group 3 and after cooling would then be all over the place within a 6 inch circle with the next 3 bullets. The rifle was allowed to cool after 3 shots, never shot hot.

I tightened all of the screws on the rifle and mounts and now have the following options to explore:

1) New mounts
2) Send scope to Swarovski for investigation
3) Have barrel recrowned
4) Have FLO destroy the rifle

I have shot over 100 rounds trying to get the rifle to zero which is expensive, and I don't know whether to contact the rfd who sold the rifle, the rfd that had the screwcutting and crown done or just get it sorted off my own back.

I suppose what I would really like to do is send it to a gunsmith who has testing facilities to work it out and send the rifle back zeroed. Can anyone suggest somebody?

Stephen

Steve cant do this weekend but after that PM me and arrange to come over i will have a look for you :thumb:

Hi everyone,

Just been to my RFD and bought some 009 & Forrest Foam. Will try this as well as tighten up all screws. My scope is a Swarovski Habicht 6 x 42, though old still has a lifetime guarantee? Maybe if all else fails I can see if Swarovski will check out the scope.

forget the 009 and forrest foam as that only cleans

several options left
get the bore checked for wear

if okay

JB bore paste and David Tubbs final finnish bullets
this will clean & polish your bore to the probably the best quality it will ever be
try it with the original scope and mounts
if not happy then change the scope and mounts to a proven set

if still not happy after that then get rid or re-barrel
as unfortunately it will of reached a stage where you can't be bothered any more

Thanks for all the tips.

My plan is to get Warne BRNO mounts as per claretdabblers advice, clean with bore paste and try some final finish (if I can get them at my gunshop?). I am fond of the rifle but not sure about a rebarrel unless is is possible to swap it to a newer one (do they screw in?) if I can find a donor rifle (and be legal on my fac - not sure how that part works)

Shame as its my first rifle and its proving to be a pain in the bottom!

Back